• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GRRW .54 Range Session...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Today was my second time shooting this new rifle. It's a GRRW in .54 caliber. My first range session last week was at 25 yards. I fired 6 shots and it was basically one big hole. Today I moved back to 50 yards and shot 6 times. My first shot was the one off to the right. The remaining shots were in a 2" group. Not great but also not horrible. Will go to 75 yards next time and see what happens. I attached a pic of a couple of the patches I was able to find. Being new to PRB shooting (have shot big lead conicals in the past) I'm not sure if they can tell me anything? Here's my load...

.530 Hornady Roundball
0.015 Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube patch
70 gr. of 3FG Swiss
Remington #11 cap
*No swabbing between shots*

IMG-1456.jpg
IMG-1479.jpg
IMG-1480.jpg

My .45 GRRW barrel has quite narrow lands and likes thick patches. I shoot a ball 0.005” under caliber and a 0.022” patch. Because of the choke it loads easily after being short started.
Last weekend I tried .451 balls and they shot fine as well.
You may be getting some gas blow by in the wide grooves.
Still, respectable shooting already.

My .45 GRRW barrel has quite narrow lands and likes thick patches. I shoot a ball 0.005” under caliber and a 0.022” patch. Because of the choke it loads easily after being short started.
Last weekend I tried .451 balls and they shot fine as well.
You may be getting some gas blow by in the wide grooves.
Still, respectable shooting already.

The barrel is a Colerain 1:56 twist. Not sure if it would be considered to have narrow lands? I have some thicker .018 patches I may try at some point once I start mixing things up to try and get a better group.

I'm not sure how to assess the spent patches? If they are good, bad or indifferent?

go to a 495 round ball. linen patches cut off at the muzzle. you can also increase the load, dont remember if your doing real black. do real black. dont tamp the ball onto the powder just push it on, then you will get target groups at any range. oh yes, one damp patch and two dry between rounds. get a good range rod and use that instead of what came with the gun. i dont under stand why shooters are reluctant to wipe between rounds. not clean the barrel but clear the barrel. dont use pyrodex. your gun will last longer and your groups will be better.

sorry i thought is was a 50 cal. go to a ball just 5 thousands smaller than the top of the lands diam.

Looks like your lands are a little sharp yet by some of the holes in your patches. I would try an .018 patch and see if the tears go away from your patch. You are probably getting a little blow-by right now but give the barrel a chance to settle in. I would keep shooting it with everything the same except use .018 patches. Possibly further down the road get away from those pre-lubed patches and lube your own. You can also try 7 parts water to one part ballistol on your own patches cut at the muzzle, and see if your groups improve. Be patient, do everything the same (loading, powder charge and patches) and see if the groups come together. But remember if you make a change do only ONE change at a time so you know which change made the difference. Happy shooting!

Confusing that you said it was a GRRW gun and then say it has a Colerain barrel. Colerain barrels have deep grooves and a thick patch often works well.

Confusing that you said it was a GRRW gun and then say it has a Colerain barrel. Colerain barrels have deep grooves and a thick patch often works well.

Sorry, that was kinda confusing. This is a new gun I had built by GRRW ca (collectors association). So basically one of the original gunsmiths from GRRW built this from the parts I purchased for him. It’s a Kit Carson Hawken kit from TOW.

As @erhunter states, there is some cutting of the patches. This could be caused by sharp lands or it could be caused by sharp transition from the muzzle to the bore. Do you have a smooth rounded crown? If the crown has a sharp bevel, it will be worth getting some of the wet/dry metal finishing sandpaper in 320 and 400 grit. It is a simple exercise to use your thumb to hold the paper in the muzzle. Rotate your thumb about five times. Turn the rifle 90 degrees and do the thumb in sandpaper again. Do the sanding until you have fully rotated the gun and applied equal sanding each time. Repeat with the finer grade paper. Your rifle will be easier to load and may prevent the cutting of patches at the muzzle. Time for more time on the range. More shooting will smooth the lands.

Wouldn’t do anything to change. Your load combo looks more than respectable to me.

Lands look a little sharp but nothing more shooting wouldn’t smooth out my friend.

Just keep running balls through it. Your group will tighten up as well.

Looks good to me. Just getting range time with your rifle is all ya need.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Today was my second time shooting this new rifle. It's a GRRW in .54 caliber. My first range session last week was at 25 yards. I fired 6 shots and it was basically one big hole. Today I moved back to 50 yards and shot 6 times. My first shot was the one off to the right. The remaining shots were in a 2" group. Not great but also not horrible. Will go to 75 yards next time and see what happens. I attached a pic of a couple of the patches I was able to find. Being new to PRB shooting (have shot big lead conicals in the past) I'm not sure if they can tell me anything? Here's my load...

.530 Hornady Roundball
0.015 Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube patch
70 gr. of 3FG Swiss
Remington #11 cap
*No swabbing between shots*

View attachment 35578View attachment 35579View attachment 35580
I have a GRRW rifle that I have had for near 40 years. It's a great shooter and I have killed deer with it.

A note on new barrels or newly crowned barrels.....all needed is an ice pick , or paper clip w/ an abrupt point on the end. Insert the device into the bore on top of the land,or in the groove. Slowly drag the point of the device over the end of the rifling and see if it catches on a burr caused by recrowning. If there is a burr , the very fine grit Wet or Dry emory paper as mentioned in the previous message is good , and or some oooo steel wool on a bore size wire brush can help. Just git 'er smooth and she should shoot w/ o cut patches. Luck to you....oldwood

This is a new gun I had built by GRRW ca (collectors association). So basically one of the original gunsmiths from GRRW built this from the parts I purchased for him. It’s a Kit Carson Hawken kit from TOW.

The builder did a nice job. That's a fine looking rifle. It appears to be a shooter, too!

Notchy Bob

I increased the powder from 70 to 80 grains today and was pleased with the results. Left everything else the same as my last range session and still at 50 yds.

Now I’m trying to decide if I should try 90 grains to see what happens or just stick to 80 grains? If I stick with 80, my next shooting will be at 75 yds. I’m trying to get a good hunting load, not just targets.

773F9A52-CBDB-4BBC-8A83-70FA115092C0.jpeg

Any rifle that groups like the one shown at 50 yards will shoot an impressive group at 100. If you're young , and can see , you have a good rifle , enjoy it. Go make some meat.

Lol! Well... I like to think I’m fairly young at 46? Not as young as I once was, but not quite an old fart either ;)

Back at it today... same 80 gr. Swiss load but switched to a .018 pillow ticking patch. Group opened up to more like 4”. Also had a flyer 4” off the main group. First flyer I’ve had with this gun. So guess I’ll stick with the .010 patch for now. Would like to try a .015 at some point.

I tried to find some of my spent patches but only found a few. Kind of confused on what to think about them? One seems kinda normal, one with a chunk out of it & one that’s only half left. Also lots of shredded pieces you can see in the pic.
F6173A80-5691-4AE7-9067-647C1F191FDD.jpeg

Back