• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Groups are better at 50 yards than 25 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Lyman globe .84+ high. The insert is probably the smaller circle of the set. I’m away from home, traveling so I don’t have the sight to look at.

Or they may be harder to use because they are so thin. The thickness of the ring is not the problem, it is the amount of white showing around the black bull. Easier to see off center hold with more white around the bull, than it is with very little white around the bull.

So let me see if I can put the things above together. If I sight in with the smallest black dot I can see, I will then have a nice white circle around the black dot and inside the insert. But when shooting in a match, I would use a large insert so there is white target around the black bullseye showing inside the insert.

No, you need to change apertures for the bullseye size at each distance to keep a mostly similar view of each sight picture. This is all for target shooting. For hunting, or non-bullseye targets, you will be better off with a front post insert (usually a medium to wide post).

No, you need to change apertures for the bullseye size at each distance to keep a mostly similar view of each sight picture. This is all for target shooting. For hunting, or non-bullseye targets, you will be better off with a front post insert (usually a medium to wide post).
So lets go through this. Our range matches use 2 different targets, smaller at 25 yards and larger at 50 & 100.
This would call for a small insert at 25 with white showing around the black. At 50 yards, a larger insert with roughly the same width white showing. At 100 yards, because the target is further away, it would appear smaller and I would use a smaller insert. The goal being to keep the white ring around the black similar width at all 3 distances.

I was thinking that the main reason for using a globe sight was to circle the bullseye with the insert.

Have never heard of that myself? I always use a cowboy type site with the post level with tops of rear site and six O'Clock myself.

Always believed the globe up front was to keep sun glare off the post. I don't use em.

Right you are, azmntman. That's what I do as well.

Latest posts

Back