• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grizz with a 50 RB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Just received my current issue of NRA American Hunter magazine and immediately noticed an interesting article.

First surprise was the publication of an article on hunting with a sidelock muzzle loader. Most contemporary hunting mags relegate the trad ml to an occasional article wherein they are "damned by faint praise". That, of course supports their advertisers of the modern stuff.

The article documents the experience of an apparently experienced Alaskan hunter who builds a Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit and subsequently hunts and successfully takes a grizzly bear with it. I'm not sure that a 50 would be my choice for a grizz hunt but it clearly worked for the author.

I'm not sure how or if a link can be provided, otherwise I'd place it in this post.

I bet he had a buddy in the bushes to finish what he started! o_O

Maybe, but maybe more likely he also had an appropriate sized suppository rifle at his side.

Not sure what AK regs are now, but when I hunted in 2013 the minimum caliber for all big game was either 40 or 45.

If I had to shoot a griz with a 50 PRB (think self defense) I’d do it, but I dang sure wouldn’t go hunting for one with it. Good for him for pulling it off.
If I were to shoot griz with any caliber rifle, I'd want a partner to back me up. You don't have to be faster than a ****** off griz, you just have to be faster than your partner.

Samuel Baker's "Baby" would be my M/L choice for grizzly. A 2 bore with a 1 oz. black powder bursting charge. I'd stop the bear charge only to be killed by the recoil 😅 He only fired it around 20 times over a number of years and didn't like it one bit but said it came in handy a time or two.

If any of you want to tackle a bear like this one with any kind of single shot, have at it.
This one tried to climb into the skiff with a couple of friends of mine. The bear was all scarred up on the face from a recent fight and was PO'd about it. It took 9 shots from 375 H&H class rifles to kill it. The fellow standing by the bear is a solid 6 footer. As I remember the bear squared out over 10 feet. SE Alaska in the mid '80's.

IMG_3835.JPG

Lots of very big bears have been taken with a single arrow shot from a recurve bow or a single round from a low velocity rifle. The trick is to shoot them in the proper spot with a projectile that will penetrate the hair before they are all riled up. When they are riled up, the bears' hormone release has it programmed to ignore blows while focusing on the perceived threat, and the perceived threat tends to be far less accurate with shot placement in that circumstance.

In a book about Lewis and Clarks travels and their encounters with Grizzlies, They always tried to have 3 guys ready when they would shoot a Grizzly. 2 would fire and then the 3rd would cover while they reloaded. I believe they said they never killed a Grizzly with one shot or it was very seldom. I never found what caliber they were using but they mentioned about a 140 grain bullet so very small.

I read the same article. This fellar had already taken black bears with the same gun. He wasn't no pilgrim. He also did it from a tree blind over bait. Close range and careful shot placement works every time. I'd do it with my 54. But 50 worked. I was pleased to read about a traditional muzzleloader hunt for a change.:thumb:

Back in the '60s Sports Afield ran an article about a teenage native Alaska girl who killed a huge brown bear with one shot from a .22 short. Bear was following her and another woman. They hid and she shot it in the ear. From the picture the gun was an Armalite or copy.

Tom

JMHO Its ALL about your skills as a hunter to get close enough, and your confidence in your ability to put that single shot where it needs to be. Most of the time if you have to ask "is this enough gun" for whatever your hunting, the answer is not for you. The caliber and power of the gun required is 90 percent dependent on you. If you don't have absolute confidence in it, and your abilities including your ability to NOT take any questionable shot don't use it.

Back