• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grins and Giggles with Two Barrels and Big Balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First you buy a gun you didn’t need.

29293684208_8a2d68c3b1_b.jpg

Then buy a mold and cast some nice shiny balls.

28295338347_f3f1599d71_b.jpg

Then fabricate a crude temporary peep sight out of a plastic bottle cap.

42261321655_8f58555932_b.jpg

And stick it on the gun with a little dab of hot glue.

42261318875_b7b01b3eb8_b.jpg

That should work!

41355310560_23070a6efb_b.jpg

Then find a big piece of cardboard for a target backer and stick it out at 25 yards on the hunting club rifle range.

43436292161_f87577ce37_b.jpg

Then load both barrels with 75 grains GOEX FFg and a pillow tick patch around the balls (lubed with my “traditional” Liquid Wrench), and take two shots from the bench.

43436996781_38f6e0743c_b.jpg

DANG!, I should have made the hole in that "down & dirty" peep a little closer to the barrel. OK, let’s take two more shots.

43436991541_1dbe4bdffa_b.jpg

Wow. Those two came together nicely. I wonder if the fouled bore was responsible. Let’s try two more shots.

43436987821_7b080daac1_b.jpg

OK, that’s not too bad. Not great, but not horrible. Let’s go with two more.

42720943564_6a0d470142_b.jpg

Hey! That’s starting to look like a group. :grin:

By now the temperature is somewhere above 90-degrees and the humidity ain’t far behind. Even in a T-shirt, shorts and flip flops I’m sweating so much my underwear is soaked and I have to wipe my eyes every thirty seconds. But I just have to shoot one more final round. Here it is.

42532579975_3b1ed370c4_b.jpg

Well guys. That’s it for me. The fun has totally gone out of this session. Lets go find some patches.

43388441732_3975630a0f_b.jpg

They’re in pretty sad shape.

Next time out I’ll have to try some thick greasy patch lube, or maybe a wad over the powder. But not today! It’s time to head to my little hooch in the camp ground for some air conditioning and a cold beer.

Very nice start! :thumbsup: Humidity is of the devil. We got our monsoons in finally, 80+ humidity (but only in the 70's so far). 3 inch down pour this afternoon. GLAD I STAYED HOME

azmntman said:
~SNIP~ We got our monsoons in finally, 80+ humidity (but only in the 70's so far). 3 inch down pour this afternoon. GLAD I STAYED HOME
:eek:ff
:shocked2: Clearly you are from NORTHERN AZ and not the valley of the sun. I only wish we were in the 70's!! High 90's to low 100's is what we have with humidity in the 50-80 range (guessing, its always dry here except monsoon season)....
Sorry.. back to the regularly scheduled topic...

:eek:ff I'm not really sure mankind was meant to live down there? I'm probably wrong (yes dear) cuz so many do......but WHY? :blah:

Back to the OP.....I betcha with some more play time that group will be quit doable at 50yds :)

Semisane said:
Next time out I’ll have to try some thick greasy patch lube, or maybe a wad over the powder.

Looks like you had great fun in spite of the heat! :thumbsup:

I've only shot RB's a few times in my 12 gauge Pietta SxS, but experienced the same sorta patch tears you did when using ticking. Didn't seem to matter which lube I tried either.

Never tried a wad under the PRB, which ought to help. I move up to thicker patching (.022" if I recall correctly). It's some white cotton canvas I got from the fabric shop. With TOW mink tallow lube the recovered patches were dandy.

My supposition was that a .690 ball in a .710 smooth bore leaves lotsa rattle room. To my mind anyway, the thicker patch pretty much proved it, while also improving accuracy compared to the ticking.

......I've only shot RB's a few times in my 12 gauge Pietta SxS, but experienced the same sorta patch tears you did when using ticking.....I move up to thicker patching

Hey BrownBear, do you recall what kind of accuracy you were able to achieve with that Pietta?

That's awesome. I have a 19 gauge that doesn't like patched balls. cardwad, fiber wad, ball, card wad. Keeps both shots within 2.5" circle at 25 yards. Maybe try the "un-patched" ball and see?

I'll try that also Sparkitoff. Thanks. I doubt I'll ever hunt with balls out of this thing. but it sure is fun to play with. Besides, it blows the minds of the other guys in my hunting club, no of whom are muzzleloading enthusiast.

Semisane said:
......I've only shot RB's a few times in my 12 gauge Pietta SxS, but experienced the same sorta patch tears you did when using ticking.....I move up to thicker patching

Hey BrownBear, do you recall what kind of accuracy you were able to achieve with that Pietta?

I didn't have a rear sight (good idea and I'm going to steal it!), but was still doing as well as you at 25. Out at 50 yards it wasn't near so pretty, but almost certainly better with sighting help.

You boys need to man-up and learn to shoot without that rear sight on your smoothbores. :haha: :haha:

25 yards, 46" flintlock smoothie, no rear sight.

25 yards, 32" barrels on a flint double, no rear sight.
Right barrel:

Left Barrel:

Spence :wink: :wink:

That is a good start indeed.
I don't like the look of those patches, use a backer and maybe up the powder, it may print a little lower for you.
B :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back