• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grinding Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Doc! I'm new to flint, so your answer helps a lot. :thumb:

dst - are you trying to say you're still wildly crazy about BP?

Thanks, Doc! I'm new to flint, so your answer helps a lot. :thumb:

dst - are you trying to say you're still wildly crazy about BP?
Primitive since the 80s. A top shooter until I aged out. Currently 78 years young. My wife and I purchased our Tin Tepee 4 years ago. Besides monthly shoots we hit 6/8 Rhondys a year. We belong to 3 BP clubs. My wife’s a president in one and I purchase cases of powder and caps for the club. We have an oscillating auto thrower so we hold the shotgun events at 3 Rhondys and also the Peewee Long Gongs. So I would say YES still crazy about BP
Doc,

Personally I will not make or grind my own powder. I just don’t feel comfortable with the idea. But to each his own. I prime out of my main horn or I use 4f in a spiffy little flat horn I made for the purpose a few decades ago. I have more the one and a half pounds of 4f. Considering it took me more then 20 years to use up the first half pound….I should be set for the rest of my life!
👍🤣👍

That's true, Byron, you didn't run anyone down. Frontier must have referenced someone else - in fact, no names were mentioned. Maybe Frontier was just making a general comment? :dunno:

That's true, Byron, you didn't run anyone down. Frontier must have referenced someone else - in fact, no names were mentioned. Maybe Frontier was just making a general comment? :dunno:
Yes, general comment. Tired of seeing folks complaining about, don't do this, I wouldn't do that... no!! You'll ruin it. Folks need to learn their own limitations and stop the belly aching over what someone else is doing.

Could be, that person may just have more experience and knowledge about the topic than you.

Kinda like folks that can't change their oil.

I have been making my own for 60 years and guess it has become such a second nature i have no thought of it being dangerous.
But i also have always serviced my own vehicles. brakes, (could cause a failure and have a wreak i suppose) change the oil, (car could fall on me), change pugs and set timing,(before they hid the darn plugs under the gall bladder or somewhere!, could cause the thing to backfire and burn up). all these and most every day things we do carry a risk. the one thing i refuse to do anymore because i consider the risk to great is to drive in a metropolis of more than 25k people. when i wore a uniform the statistic was that 1 of 3 persons driving were seriously impaired.
now that is DANGEROUS.

. the one thing i refuse to do anymore because i consider the risk to great is to drive in a metropolis of more than 25k people. when i wore a uniform the statistic was that 1 of 3 persons driving were seriously impaired.
now that is DANGEROUS.
I've heard that a large percentage of the drivers are on some sort of drug or medication. That's scary!

But, you know, I've learned that accidents aren't accidental. It just seems that way when the causes aren't seen - kinda like the difference between science and magic.

You know, deerstalkert, I was thinking along the same train of thought a few days ago when working on my motorcycle front brake. Important and dangerous stuff! Straightened a bent disc. I'm sure I'd have gotten the same reaction on a bike forum as we are here about grinding black powder. Same as you - I've always worked on my own vehicles, and why I prefer the older simpler ones from the last century.

Yes, general comment. Tired of seeing folks complaining about, don't do this, I wouldn't do that... no!! You'll ruin it. Folks need to learn their own limitations and stop the belly aching over what someone else is doing.

Could be, that person may just have more experience and knowledge about the topic than you.

Kinda like folks that can't change their oil.
makes me laugh when I hear a guy belly aching about other people belly aching

What isn't safe or wise?
Most importantly, what isn't safe?

Its not safe for many reasons but there’s an obvious reason.

Most people that are messing around with powder for the purpose of grinding it down to turn 2F to 3f or 3f to 4f are doing so happhazardly without thinking about the obvious…. Going out and buying a contain of 4f. The safety factor is in the experience, and the ignorance. Mistakes happen, only when mistakes happen with gunpowder they tend have more consequences.

I’m not saying someone who makes their own powders shouldn’t do that, if you’ve got the experience and the shop go for it.

But the question was about grinding powder to make 4f. I wouldn’t do it simply becuase, I can buy it. Furthermore I think I’ve had the same container of 4f for 5 years.

once again, can ANYONE cite a credible source a to a disastrous event caused by the grinding or even making of gunpowder. aside and eliminating occurrences by commercial producers?

i have some anecdotal stories where someone doing something extremely stupid was injured by black powder but there is Darwin's law. and stupid should hurt.

. I wouldn’t do it simply becuase, I can buy it. Furthermore I think I’ve had the same container of 4f for 5 years.
We're not little kids who need to be told not to do something, just because. We need reasons we can think with, and actual events that demonstrate the point.

Also, your statement about having the same container for four or five years goes right along with the subject of the thread - why buy a full can of 4F, especially when it's so expensive these days, when converting a little 2F or 3F to 4F seems like a better solution?

Also, the guy making his own BP has plenty of fine stuff after the grading process. No need to grind it once it's all graded.

We're not little kids who need to be told not to do something, just because. We need reasons we can think with, and actual events that demonstrate the point.

Also, your statement about having the same container for four or five years goes right along with the subject of the thread - why buy a full can of 4F, especially when it's so expensive these days, when converting a little 2F or 3F to 4F seems like a better solution?

Also, the guy making his own BP has plenty of fine stuff after the grading process. No need to grind it once it's all graded.

I’m not telling anyone what to do, Just that you ought not.

By all means grind down GOOD powder.

A can of 4f is just as much as a can of 2F…. So if you’re buying 2F well…. You can afford 4f.

FYI 4F powder is not ground down powder, its base powder that is ungranualated, again as posted before on here, why not read the label and follow the manufacture’s advice.

If you run dry of 4F you simply prime with 2F or 3F.

I honestly don’t use 4F, I use 3F as a prime because of moisture.

I’m not telling anyone what to do, Just that you ought not.

By all means grind down GOOD powder.

A can of 4f is just as much as a can of 2F…. So if you’re buying 2F well…. You can afford 4f.

FYI 4F powder is not ground down powder, its base powder that is ungranualated, again as posted before on here, why not read the label and follow the manufacture’s advice.

If you run dry of 4F you simply prime with 2F or 3F.

I honestly don’t use 4F, I use 3F as a prime because of moisture.
ya'll may want to do a little more studying. base powder is just that, powder. 4f is granulated, and if it is ffffg it is glazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back