• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grey Star Industies 1/3 scale 6 pounder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarborMaster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My Gray-Star 1/3 scale cannons came about 2 weeks ago. I must say I am pleased as punch. After checking the bore for straight.,and its right -on the money.,we started on the carriages we are still finishing up. I'm not real fast.,sort of doing it as I go.
build03.jpg

After getting the casting sanded off the barrel we started our wheels.

build09.jpg

Then the oak for the carriage
build34.jpg

That is a nice job, I like the way you designed and made the carriage and I also like the classic lines of the cannon.

We used a hole saw in the drill press to cut the top blocks trunnion hole.,
then used an exact piece in cheaper wood as a jig to make the cap squares
build31.jpg

We dado'd a channel thru the lower cheek blocks for our floor and test fit each piece as we go.
build39.jpg

Thanks a bunch men! I am finding iteasy to make things a bit too big.,or out of sync ona smaller scale., but I am kinda making it up as I go., I am trying to get a Toy look to it.

We don't want to see no toy... Let's see some smoke. I wish I could find the time to complete my mortor cannon.
Craig

Carriage looks great. One thing you might consider.... when I made mine I cut some 2 1/2" sections of 4" diameter black pipe. Then turned the wood wheels to just fit inside that pipe.... steel tires so to speak.

ABS Wheels sound durable., But I cant do it. My wood is already cut to change the math and I like the wood.
TBerringerb.JPG

build49.jpg

build51.jpg

Hey Harbor!
I can tell by the photo's that your as wacked out as the rest of us.
Great job on the cannons man. Now let's see some Smoke and Fire.
Craig

Soon., Soon., :grin: Waiting for all the Poly Urethane to dry now. I used a paint called POR-15 on the barrels., The stuff is Real hard ., I tried a test sample on my backhoe bucket and after several drainfields the POR-15 is still lookin good., Hopefully drying insiide will get me firing this weekend., its a terrible cold outside...., andI still gotta drill the vents!

looking good. I got the wheels for my 2/3 scale 6#. I think I'm going to need a little more wood than you used. I liked the vidio

2/3 scale will require ALOT more wood :thumbsup:
I'd love to see it when its ready John. (your wheels arrived) Are building a field carriage for the Cannon ?

Neat Video! Kind of makes me sorry I sold my GSI 1/2 scale Napoleon. But I need a cannon of an earlier age.

grin.gif

CP

A farmer gave me a set of wheels and axle made around 1900-1910 with bolt together hub. When we moved to our new house there was a set of wheels and axle from an earlier cargo wagon with wooden hub that went with the purchase of the house. I will probably go with the early wheels but I may need to make a new axle. I have a 3 pound mold that I need to see if it is the right size for the bore. The to find a place to shoot it.

Great looking cannons HarborMaster!

I have been eyeballin' the Cannon section on the sly for a bit now!
Those look like a great size, and the carriages came out perfect. :thumbsup:

Erzulis boat .,This is a very fun sized shooter.

John T. there is a place in Mima Mounds., just outside of Rochester ..,Evergreen Sportsmen's Club, 12736 Marksman Road SW, Littlerock, WA .
They have a good cannon range.

Back