• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Greetings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xring3

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all staff, supporters, and lurkers.

The name is Dan, but my stage name is Kaivek the tactical Viking. Yes, there is a story there, but not getting into that in this post. I also write articles for The Truth About Guns, Springfields the Armory life, and a few others. I'm working on some articles for the USCCA and Full30. Finally, I'm in the process of getting a radio show on fist full of radio dealing in the 2nd A and other firearms-related topics. Other than all of that, I'm a full-time law student at Purdue majoring in constitutional law.

I've been dabbling in black powder for a while. I started with a .50 muzzleloader many years ago that I found at a yard sale. Was hard to pass up the rifle, a scope, and a hard case for $35. Later I got a .44 revolver. When I was earning my associate's degree in firearms technology one project was a Kentucky long gun in .50. I then decided to move up to the world of cannons. I got a .69 cal cannon kit which I've had great fun shooting. I do have some videos I can share.

Last week I finally pulled the trigger if you will and placed an order for a full-scale carronade barrel which weighs in at 300 pounds and has a 2.25" bore. I'll be building a carriage for it and still looking for a good set of instructions. I thought about just scaling up my .69 using pressure treated 6x6. For the balls, I found some plastic ball pit balls and I was going to fill them with portland cement and using a wad to take up the small gap. If memory serves, the balls are 2.19"

I do look forward to getting started on this build.
EGGGUnJWkAEr4TQ.jpg

Thanks for all the kind greetings. That shows me you have an active and well-run forum.

I've been working on the basic plans for my carronade carriage. Looks like something around 22 board feet of 6x6 and some 2x16 for the wheels and some threaded rod either 5/8" or 3/4. I'm going to make the nuts from a piece of flat stock 1/2" thick to give a nice square nut look. I'll then brown the exposed metal. Haven't decided if I'm going to make the trunnion caps or buy them. I'll need to find a source, so if anyone has a source for some 2 1/2" trunnion caps, let me know.

I am stoked and can't wait to start posting my progress.

Latest posts

Back