• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Greetings Y'all! Celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Texas Rangers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jack

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings Y'all! In 2023 we are celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Texas Rangers, and family ancestor, Captain John "Jack" Coffee Hays. "One Riot. One Ranger"!!! :) As such, I am seeking replica 1836 Colt Patterson No. 5, which was reportedly one of Jack's favorite guns...Please advise if you know where I might find someone willing to part with one for this special anniversary celebration, and surprise for my wife who is a long-lost relative to Jack. Thank you! :)

Welcome from Maine. when you have enough posts use tghe classified section and read the guidelines!
Nit Wit

Welcome! My g-g-grandfather’s brother, Mike Gray, served under Hays in the Mexican War.

Are you related by any chance to the Grays of Virginia, in particular the family line of John Bowie Gray a VMI Cadet who fought at the Battle of Newmarket ?
John relocated to Texas after Lincolns War, maybe to link up to a Texas branch of the family there.

Interestingly my Great Grandmother from Virginia and was a relation of Johns migrating to Australia to marry my Great Grandfather post War; they were 3rd Cousins on the paternal side.
Gray is a Highland Scots surname from MacGlashan, meaning "Son of the Gray Lad" a Sept of the Appin Stewart Clan.

Welcome aboard from New England!

216020-Welcome-Aboard.jpeg

Welcome! My g-g-grandfather’s brother, Mike Gray, served under Hays in the Mexican War.
Songwriter, thanks for sharing…small world, eh? Please let me know if there are any family stories involving Captain Jack Hays that you can share…we are building a storybook to pass on to future generations and your relative could be part of a great story. Thanks!….Audie (aka Capt Jack)

Audie - Don’t really have any stories directly related to Jack. Just that Mike Gray was in Gillaspie’s company of volunteer mounted rifles under Col Hays. That company was organized in Huntsville Tx. Mike’s father (my 3rd-great grandfather) founded the town early in the Rebublic of Texas days on his even earlier Mexican land grant.

And I think my wife needs a Patterson too!

Welcome from Florida, @Captain Jack !

I believe the current issues of both True West and The American Rifleman have articles about the Texas Rangers' 200th anniversary.

Keep an eye on the forum classifieds for that revolver. At least three nice Patersons have been sold through the forum classifieds so far this year. Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Greetings Y'all! In 2023 we are celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Texas Rangers, and family ancestor, Captain John "Jack" Coffee Hays. "One Riot. One Ranger"!!! :) As such, I am seeking replica 1836 Colt Patterson No. 5, which was reportedly one of Jack's favorite guns...Please advise if you know where I might find someone willing to part with one for this special anniversary celebration, and surprise for my wife who is a long-lost relative to Jack. Thank you! :)
Welcome to the site. Generally a good spot to be. In what part of the state do you reside? I was raised on a ranch in Burnet county. Family still has land from 1800’s in Llano county. Can relate some family stories concerning ranger service as well. Right now I’m working on some for my grand kids. Again welcome.

Back