• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from well north of Dallas but still in Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmattoon

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a retired Master Gunnery Sergeant, USMC. Had reenacted WBTS, so familiar with Enfields & Springfields. As an SAR member, I'm now interested in participating in living histories of RevWar Marines and interested in the 1766 Charleville, plus shooting the musket.

Griz,

Good for you. 'Bet you're excited about shooting it. I'll tell you, the kick on Enfields isn't too bad and you can do pretty well live-firing it. When I lived in Garland (now in Van Alstyne), I used to go to the Garland Public Shooting Range, but there's been so much construction in that area, I don't know whether they're even open, let alone allow black powder shooting. The Frisco Gun Club (kinda of a Country Club of gun shooting) may permit black powder. I'm fixing to get involved with a club of nothing to Black Powder shooting next month if you're interested.

Thank you, Bill. I received it and was delighted by the outward appearance, which appeared superb. I'd bought it from Heritage Access before I got on this site only to learn that theses boys in Canada import them from India. In fact, I only paid $600 for it, compared to the $1450 for the Italian-made, which motivated me to join this site to determine why that was. Got it over to a friend of a friend who's knowledgeable in making and repairing flintlocks, and in his opinion the musket's sound, with one caveat: the trigger pull is a bear (which will affect accuracy unless you have strong, deliberate fingers). This friend's friend is fixing to drill a touch hole and put an insert in it. Anxious to get it back and get a ball down the barrel to try it out. If it doesn't work out accuracy wise, I'll just use it with paper at living histories and parades (show & tell), then get with others on what I need to buy next that will be semi accurate and fun to shoot.

Welcome! I had the same hard trigger pull with the first model Brown Bess I ordered from Heritage Access. It required a little tumbler and sear work but works great now. I purchased two other guns from them and they also required small amounts of similar lock tuning work. Overall, the quality is okay for the price. They are fun and inexpensive to shoot. --Dr. Paul

Back