• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Greetings from Louisiana

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all from Louisiana.

I am the secretary/treasurer of our muzzleloader club [Bayou Muzzleloaders] which was formed around 1994.

Since the time I was a kid back in the 50s and 60s, I had always wanted to own and learn how to shoot a Kentucky Flintlock Rifle like Davey and Daniel. Well around 2001 I realized that Crocket died when he was 49 and I was reaching that age so I better get to it. Also, I saw some original flintlocks at the antique gun shop in New Orleans and began researching. Soon I had acquired a Pedersoli and joined the Bayou Muzzleloaders and started shooting regularly. Since then, flintlocks are all I shoot or hunt with.

I have subsequently obtained a hand built 50 Caliber rifle [Beck style] from Dixon's up in Pennsylvania and one 40 caliber southern rifle that was built by Jack Gardner back when he owned TVM. Both are great shooting rifles but for hunting now I use my Lyman 54 cal Hawkins flintlock.

Enjoy the reads and comradery around here. Thanks for being a great forum.

Doug

Welcome to the Forum.
I'm from Texas, now in Arkansas, My Aunt Elaine came from Houma, La. Did a lot of fishing and some hunting in Calcasieu Parish. Hope you enjoy the Forum and make lots of new friends. Where are you in La.? I grew up near Vidor Tx, about 40 miles from Lake Charles. Gumbo, GoGo, Fais do do!

Welcome Doug to the forum! Where are you located in LA? I’m in the NMLRA and tried to find other Muzzleloaders in our area and have not received much info. I’m in northwest La just outside Shreveport. No one, even Bass Pro in Bossier, carries anything for muzzleloading anymore. Was in there the other day and appears they have totally closed their reloading area. Sad! I have tried to find other Muzzleloaders in this area and no one seems to be interested around here. Would be interesting to find out if any like the hobby, sport, art has any interest up here. Keep in touch.
elkhorne

Welcome Doug to the forum! Where are you located in LA? I’m in the NMLRA and tried to find other Muzzleloaders in our area

I'm down in the heart of Acadiana - Lafayette. Bayou Muzzleloaders shoot at the LA Wildlife and Fisheries Educational facility in Woodworth just south of Alexandria - Come join us any 3rd Saturday of the month. We have people from all over the state make to Woodworth Gun Range

Back