• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Greetings From Central New York

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbob

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Howdy!

I got the black powder bug after my friend in NJ bought his PA Long Rifle and test fired it for the first time. He let me fire it, and the bug bit pretty hard!

The only gun I own is a Mossberg shotgun, and I don't hunt. But I was fascinated by the modern day replica of the flintlock type and the details involved.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether to go with a flintlock or a percussion rifle (for target shooting). Everything I've read so far says to go with what you feel comfortable with. As usual, a forum like this will give me some answers and good info from the seasoned shooters here.

So far, I like what I see!

Bob

("brewbob" = homebrewing nut. I like to do that also)

brewbob,
first off welcome the forum where i think you will get a lot of info on your question. i personally shoot nothing but percussion, but to each his own. i am sure you will get info on both.
again welcome to the forum
I am snake-eyes :imo:

Everything I've read so far says to go with what you feel comfortable with.
My first rifle was a flintlock, before I even got a centerfire or rimfire. Guess you could say I learnt the old way. It's not as difficult to start with a flintlock as some people think. What's more important than which type of lock is that the one you get is of good quality. It doesn't have to be an expensive custom job, as long it's decent quality. The cheapest brands will give you lots of trouble and turn you off to it altogether. Just spend a little more to get a better rifle that works well, and as long as you enjoy shooting, you'll get the hang of it before you know it.

You're in the right place. Welcome aboard!

Being a Zymerologist, you've obviously proved you don't take shortcuts and appreciate a bit of extra effort to get satisfaction. Go flint.

To borrow from Charlie Papazian:
Relax, don't worry, shoot a flintlock.

PS Welcome to the forum.

brewbob: Welcome to the Camp !!
Glad you found us, The question you have about which type of rifle you should go with Flint or Percussion can be found here at the forum. For me, I own both. I have T/C Hawkens 54cal percussion and a T/C Hawkens 50cal Flint. I have shot the 54 cal alot more than my other rifle. I got it 6 months ago. I'm looking forward to shooting my flintlock. Once you get the bug for blackpowder, it doesn't matter what you shoot, as long as you are enjoying yourself. Well have fun here at the forum, there's alot information for you to check out.
Again welcome !! Take Care, Mtn-Man2u :)

Howdy!

I got the black powder bug after my friend in NJ bought his PA Long Rifle and test fired it for the first time. He let me fire it, and the bug bit pretty hard!

Yep, it's a biter...

convlbug.jpg

I noticed that not too many people get bit by the Pyrodex bug or the 777 bug... :hmm:

Welcome to our encampment...

I noticed that not too many people get bit by the Pyrodex bug or the 777 bug...

Oh, they do. Sadly, with those two critters, the venom is toxic and causes a lingering death through brain atrophy. They loose the will to wax on prophetically like us'ns. :haha:

Luckily, there is an antidote - a compound found in the fouling caused by 'honest' blackpowder. :winking: If we can only reach them in time.

Thanks to all for the friendly greetings and advice. I'll be asking a lot more questions on the flintlock forum!

Regards,

Bob

PS: Stumpkiller: I found some bottles of a xtra bitter beer I brewed on Labor Day of 2002. Tried them out yesterday while enjoying some sunshine (scarce commodity in CNY this summer) and they were very nice! My wife wants me to make another batch of Porter. She hardly drinks at all, but loves the Porter and Irish Stout.

I'm down in the Binghamton area. I never recall a wetter July. Our Vinyl siding has mold growing on the north side of the house - no lie!

I'm a Porter fan myself. I took a 1st and a 3rd at the Broome County Fair a few years back for a steam beer and a Porter I brewed up. I do much less now (too lazy) but get the bug to brew occasionally. Now that the price of Yuengling has doubled I'll probably put up some come fall.

Welcome Brewbob. Percussion is easier but once you get exposed to flint, there's no turning back. Flintlocks forever!

BTW, you'll probably wind up with a couple of 100 flint bags like some of us do. I'm ready in case Prince Charles tries to reclaim the colonies.

Back