• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greenhorn with Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny8

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Long time deer hunter and just purchased a Traditions Deer Hunter flintlock. I have a year or so to get used to the gun before a hunt in PA. I've shot lots of muzzies over the years. Killed my first buck with a CVA side lock percussion and umpteen deer with the inline. Flintlock is something I have zero experience with. What will I need to get started besides the powder and projectiles? I've watched a bunch of flintlock hunting videos on the YouTube and I see them priming the pan with some contraption that looks like they press down with it and it dispenses some powder. Anyone have any experience with what shoots best out of one of these as far as projectiles? I certainly appreciate any help. I have English flints coming in from TOW. Thank you
Aaron

The priming valve horns that you mention allow two or three grains of powder per charge. They help you prime with out spilling your powder. As I am a klutz I use one myself to prevent spilling the priming powder all over. They are not needed if you have a steady hand. Many people prime with the same powder they use for the main charge which works well if you can prime from your main horn. Those that use he same powder for priming and main charge use a smaller horn than those that have a seperate priming horn and main charge horn. Flintlocks usually will use a round ball projectile since they tend to have slower twists and deeper groves than your in lines.

Yes what he said, patched round ball is likely the slow twist rate you have. Having a small quill or pick to verify the touch hole is clear each time you load is crucial. The gent who taught me said to roll the rifle to the right as you shoulder it. That pushes the priming powder away from the touch hole. As the frizzen strikes it burns throwing the sparks toward the touch hole. I used 2f for the charge and 4f for the prime. PA deer are much like OH deer. Plentiful so you can shoo away the big bucks and wait out a tender yearling doe.

Welcome to the artistry of shooting a flint lock rifle, @Benny8.

Watching the videos is good, but there is nothing better than going to the range with someone experienced in shooting a flint lock.

The first thing to be aware of is that real black powder is a necessity to successfully fire a flint lock. Sure, folks have used a kick start of 5 to 10 grains of black powder to ignite their substitute powder. But ultimately, most find the best performance with black powder only.

Good for you in that you have ordered the black English flints from Track of the Wolf. Look through the accessories page for the tools you will find useful to knap the edge of the flint to keep it sharp. With sharp flints, you get more sparks and with more sparks, you get good ignition of the pan. If you have used a pick to make sure the flash channel from the touch hole to the powder is clear, then near instant ignition of the main charge is likely. You will need a strip of thin leather to hold the flint in the jaws of the hammer. I use a small wooden matchstick under the back edge of the flint to have more scraping of the flint along the face of the frizzen to get more sparks.

If your Traditions Deer Hunter Rifle is new, then your lock will likely benefit from a polishing of the moving parts. I haven't heard of many locks that don't benefit from some polishing of the rub points. It helps too, to take the lock apart using correct spring clamps and gently polishing the tumbler axle, the sear lever where it contacts the trigger lever and the bolt that fastens the frizzen to the lock plate. Look for signs of internal rubbing of parts between the lock and the wood. Lubricate the threads on the little bolts. Be especially wary of the fly in the tumbler. It is a very small part and can be lost very quickly.

A pan primer is a nice device to put a relatively precise charge of 4f powder in the pan. Most pan primers are sized for best flow of powder with 4fg. I have several that clog up when used with 3fg powder. While 4fg powder is faster than 3fg when it comes to getting the main charge lit off, the difference in time is not really enough to make a difference. I would recommend 3fg powder for your main charge as well as the priming charge.

Proper fitting screwdrivers are a must when it comes to maintenance of the rifle for cleaning. Most of the installed screw and bolt heads are soft and can mar easily if an improper screwdriver is used.

You have not said what caliber your rifle is nor what projectiles you have been using for your past hunts. Whether it is a 45 or 50 caliber rifle, a patched round ball is adequate for having a successful hunt for white tailed deer in Pennsylvania. Or elsewhere for that matter. A round ball is also the projectile that will shoot best out of your rifle. It is ball placement that is critical and heavy conical bullets should not be relied on to have a successful hunt. The round ball for your rifle is likely to be a 0.440" or a 0.490" ball. Patching should be 0.015" washed pillow ticking. Prelubricated patches have a definite shelf life and are best lubricated shortly before loading. I cut my patches at the muzzle, but square or round pre-cut patches of 1" to 1 1/4" will work fine. Mink oil from Track of the Wolf is a good patch lubricant for hunting.

Get out and shoot your rifle. Develop an accurate on target load. Adjust the powder charge to get to hunting accuracy. You have been successfully hunting, so you know the ranges you have had success. These rifles are effective out to 75 to 100 yards. Most hunts will get you in the 30 to 50 yard range. That's what makes the traditional muzzle loading hunting so thrilling is the skills to get close for that effective shot placement.

Last edited:
Every thing Grenadier 1758 said.
A good flint should give you thirty shots or more, but I don’t trust a used one on a hunt deer hunt. Put in a new flint, and make sure it sparks well on one shot.
Then your ready.
Don’t be stingy with your prime. If the weather is moist check and change often.
Practice staying on target
In the woods with everything that can go wrong will go wrong you may get a hang fire, or slow ignition
Get a wood ‘flint’ and dry fire holding on a target. Count, clatch, one two three four five, keeping on target
Go to the range and do so, even just flashing the pan with out a charge loaded.
Shoot as often as you can till you can 1) ignore the delay that even the fastest flinter have
2) ignores the flash
To me my guns shoot instantly, it feels like triggering and shot are just the same.
But I often give my guns to spectators at the range and they almost always comment in n the delay, I can no longer see.
On the door of Apollo’s temples it was carved ‘Know Thy Flintlock’ but this is often mistranslated

Improvising seldom works out well. obtain the correct stuff and be sure to have it with you. I've learned to keep "flintlock" goods separate from my percussion things over the years - even in my range box. Especially screwdrivers.

Hint - don't try to use a toothpick, twig, or wooden matchstick to poke out the vent hole. When they break off (and they will, sooner or later), shooting's over for awhile. Small thing, perhaps, but it doesn't take but once to learn that lesson. Have fun, shoot often.

Can I use Pyrodex P which is a fffg equivalent in my flintlock? That’s about all I can seem to find. I actually have some of that on hand as well.

You might be able to use it for the main charge ok but real black powder is necessary for priming.
If you can't find black powder locally, you can find it online. More expensive but at least you can get it.
Graf&sons, Buffalo Arms, Travelers Antiques and Trading Co. are a few of the reputable companies out there.

@Benny8, look at some of the other replies to your question.

You can use Pyrodex P in your flintlock rifle if you are looking for training on how to hold through hangfires and how to clear your rifle after failures to fire. Otherwise, about the only way to use Pyrodex in a flint lock is to use black powder in the pan and about 5 to 10 grains of real black powder first to ignite the Pyrodex.

Thanks everyone for bearing with me. Can I use 2f for load and 3f for priming the pan? Also, is the german powder ok to use? I found 2fg german powder and Goex 3f black container that is available? I'm interested to hear your thoughts before I pull the trigger on this 5# minimum order.

I use 3fg for .50 calibre firearms and smaller; I use 2fg for .50 calibre and larger. So .50 calibre is that median of middle ground. For priming powder, I’ll use 2fg - 4fg for priming in my muskets, with nice large locks. In my flintlocks with locks around the size of a Siler lock, I’ll use 3fg - 4fg…but in all my guns, I much prefer 4fg as my priming powder.

You are going to enjoy this sport/hobby. Flintlocks are truly an incredible dimension in the blackpowder community.

The Scheutzen powder is very good and the powder most likely to be available. 3fg will work in the pan as well as the main charge. The 2fg will also work but is ever so slightly slower than 3fg. Faster still is 4f, but it often takes special timing devices to determine just how much faster.

Thanks everyone for all the information. I found some Scheutzen locally. Just waiting on my flints now. I appreciate everyone who took the time to post. Have a great day all!

The Scheutzen powder is very good and the powder most likely to be available. 3fg will work in the pan as well as the main charge. The 2fg will also work but is ever so slightly slower than 3fg. Faster still is 4f, but it often takes special timing devices to determine just how much faster.
I just got some Schweitzer Powder…I’ve never used it before. Glad to hear your thoughts…

Reposting here the relevant part of what I posted on my introduction thread:

Given the ongoing collapse of the supply chain and government monopolization of propellants and priming chemicals, it may soon be flintlocks are the only guns we can reliably keep shooting. Had an FL pistol in my youth -- .69 caliber Hutchinson or Hutchison, don't remember which; Dublin Castle proof marks, supposedly the remnant of a pair handed down from a Loyalist ancestor, amongst the guns stolen from me in Oak Ridge c. 1964. Shot it a few times with patched log-roller marbles and good ole DuPont Superfine FFFg just to see if I could make it go bang and hit something with it (which both it and I did), but otherwise treated it as a curio.

Now however I have three: a pair of .50 Pedersoli Kentucky pistols I built from kits and a four-digit SN .50 T/C Hawken I just bought from Track of the Wolf, but have no experience with that mode of ignition since my first FL. Hence that is a realm in which I sorely am in need of education, especially since I now live in Washington state, where -- apart from this year's extended drought -- it typically rains continuously nine months out of 12.

Basic question: I know how to keep the pistols dry by keeping them beneath a cloak or poncho, but how does one keep -- or perhaps I should say, how did our ancestors keep -- an FL rifle or musket reliable in wet weather? (I know they did, I've just no idea how.) I have some notions, like dripping candle wax on the frizzen to rainproof the joint between frizzen and pan, but the idea of an open flame anywhere near a charged pan strikes me as somewhat less than wise. Ergo...

Guidance in this matter deeply appreciated.

I prime with the spring loaded primers(one in each bag and two in the shooting box. ), but I solder a nail to the spout to keep the pan fouling from building up and/or corrodng the spout. The nail extension also gives you a better look at the pan while priming. Your choice on how long to make it. Common sense says to empty the primer before soldering.

Here in the Pacific northwet hunting season and most seasons beside 4th of July, its raining.
Like right now.
I use a crayon to coat the pan and frizzen.

Latest posts

Back