• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Green River Rifle Works Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to see what I could find out about this gun. Here are the markings...

Lockplate - J&S Hawken
Left barrel flat - .50 H-053
Top barrel flat - Green River Rifle Works
Roosevelt, Utah

The gun is in like new condition. Comes from a collection. Asking is $675. Is it worth it? Are they good guns in general?

Thanks in Advance!

Hello everyone! I wanted to see what I could find out about this gun. Here are the markings...

Lockplate - J&S Hawken
Roosevelt, Utah

The gun is in like new condition. Comes from a collection. Asking is $675. Is it worth it? Are they good guns in general?

Thanks in Advance!
Oh, God! yes! Buy it and send/give check before it's ink dries....

Buy it now! Used ones in good shape easily command three times that price. River Junction Trading Co. has right now a .58 caliber GRRW halfstock, in very good condition except for having been festooned with brass tacks by a previous owner, for $2,895. If the rifle you are considering has been truly unmolested and is in like-new condition, you'll have a real prize.

Please show pictures when you have it in hand.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Damn. You guys have me convinced. I'm going to jump on it. Thanks!

Good decision.

The rifle is a fairly early one with serial number SN H-053. They made and delivered 680 half stock Hawken rifles before they closed.

This one would be what I call the "first standard" pattern. It would have a Cherry Corners breech and tang. The barrel would be 1" diameter. This will likely weight around 10 lbs rather than the 11.5 to 12.5 lbs for the later rifles with 1-1/2" diameter barrels.

The lock with "J & S Hawken" was designed by a William Morgan from a lock on an original Hawken. It will have a "W M" stamped on the inside of the lock plate. The nose cap should be two pieces of sheet metal, shaped and soldered together. These were hand made in the GRRW shop as were the rear sight, barrel keys and escutcheons.

Depending on condition, these early rifles usually sale at auction around $1200 plus or minus. Interestingly, the heavier GRRW Hawken rifles are more in demand today and can bring more than $3000 at auction.

I'll trade you a new Lyman Pedersoli Hawken for it. (Bah, haw, haw, haw. :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to post pics. I have emailed pics from the seller. I am not good with tech. How would I post them?

Lockplate - J&S Hawken
Roosevelt, Utah

Thanks in Advance!
As others have stated, goes from a good to a great deal depending on bore condition. Saw one at multiple gun shows a few years back. Price was comparable to what one would expect for signed copies of the Bible. With this particular sample, looked like it was never cleaned after heavy use of Pyrodox. Asked seller if I could check bore with a borescope. It was like I insulted his mother, wife and daughter in the most vulgar way possible. After seeing gun at multiple shows and irritating seller at each show, stopped paying attention to it. Guessing someone purchased it. A Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey type moment. One is born every minute.

This one would be what I call the "first standard" pattern. It would have a Cherry Corners breech and tang. The barrel would be 1" diameter. This will likely weight around 10 lbs rather than the 11.5 to 12.5 lbs for the later rifles with 1-1/2" diameter barrels.

Phil, 1 1/2" barrels? Did not know they were ever more than 1 1/8".

DO IT! Jessie James had to use a horse and a gun to do a deal like that so DO IT!

20210428_153515_resized (1).jpg

Back