• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green River Forge NW trade gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "made in Italy" appears on the inside of the lock on the small flat surface above the mainspring. And yes, I'm still getting good spark. With a .597" - .598" patched RB, it is quite accurate @ 25 yd., but 50 yd. is still a crapshoot (I need to work on this).

The "made in Italy" appears on the inside of the lock on the small flat surface above the mainspring. And yes, I'm still getting good spark. With a .597" - .598" patched RB, it is quite accurate @ 25 yd., but 50 yd. is still a crapshoot (I need to work on this).
Well it takes practice which is fun so win win. I'm using a .600 patched ball and shes popping paper plates at 40 yard. Like all guns, she shoots better than I do. Keep making smoke.
LC

Thank you. I must have miss understood about the locks. I know that Lott were made in Italy and might have made an assumption. My lock is still working fine but wouldn’t mind getting a replacement for it anyway. Hopefully Davis will get their Trade Gun locks replenished.
So from what you have said, the trade gun I have was Nicholas’s personal gun and not one he made for Frank. Very nice. Besides the blued barrel I believe the only real difference is that the lock is still stamped Lott. From what I have been told most of the locks had the original markings ground off and re-engraved and stamped. Is that correct or is this another miss on my part?

Thanks again. LC
The trade gun lock that RE Davis listed for years was a replacement for the Lott lock that hat a hit and miss reputation at the time. I am sure costs of replacement parts worked in there too. See what a Pedersoli mainspring costs on any of thier large locks.
The Davis Tradegun lock was slightly larger in places so that it was fairly easy to inlet in the mortice of the Lott lock.
Allen Foundry ( not an actual foundry as i am told ) is the owner/exclusive supplier of the molds for these cast parts. Mr Allen has chosen not to supply these parts some time ago.
The only other option is to contact Larry at Mold and Gun Shop in Jackson Ohio. His shop built the various Allen locks for R.E. Davis. There are no Mainsprings left in stock that I know of.
Mold and Gun Shop recently accquired the molds and tooling from the now closed North Star West, for thier Officers Model musket. The lock is similar in size to the original North Star lock. Which is very close to the Italian locks.
The Lock for the Officers Model is availible without markings. Several have already been sent out for tradeguns.
Sorry for the War and Peace post here. But have saw on various pages questions and wants for replacement parts or locks from the Lott to the Davis Tradegun.

Okay probably my confusion. Just curious then about the marking on the barrel, No 1, one person suggested to me that it was a prototype. Out of curiosity how do you know then that Nicholas built the gun? Either way it was built prior to 1976 . Gets me closer to either figuring it out adding to my confusion lol

Thanks again
LC
I believe this #1 was not a prototype as it was not used for the photos in the brochure. It therefore was a special presentation gun and it was the first one, hence it would be #1. I guess it could have been for Hal Sharon, the maker of our Trade Gun barrels. Frank was just that kind of guy.
The other question asked is how do I know Nicholas Watts made that gun. It's the appearance of the lock panels.

The trade gun lock that RE Davis listed for years was a replacement for the Lott lock that hat a hit and miss reputation at the time. I am sure costs of replacement parts worked in there too. See what a Pedersoli mainspring costs on any of thier large locks.
The Davis Tradegun lock was slightly larger in places so that it was fairly easy to inlet in the mortice of the Lott lock.
Allen Foundry ( not an actual foundry as i am told ) is the owner/exclusive supplier of the molds for these cast parts. Mr Allen has chosen not to supply these parts some time ago.
The only other option is to contact Larry at Mold and Gun Shop in Jackson Ohio. His shop built the various Allen locks for R.E. Davis. There are no Mainsprings left in stock that I know of.
Mold and Gun Shop recently accquired the molds and tooling from the now closed North Star West, for thier Officers Model musket. The lock is similar in size to the original North Star lock. Which is very close to the Italian locks.
The Lock for the Officers Model is availible without markings. Several have already been sent out for tradeguns.
Sorry for the War and Peace post here. But have saw on various pages questions and wants for replacement parts or locks from the Lott to the Davis Tradegun.
Thank you. The Lott lock is throwing some good sparks and is still working great, but I am the kind of guy who wants to be able to fix things even when they aint broke. I will check with Larry at Mold and Gun Shop and see if the North Star West lock is a good fit. Or what ever he might happen to have that would help me through this.
Thanks again,
LC

I believe this #1 was not a prototype as it was not used for the photos in the brochure. It therefore was a special presentation gun and it was the first one, hence it would be #1. I guess it could have been for Hal Sharon, the maker of our Trade Gun barrels. Frank was just that kind of guy.
The other question asked is how do I know Nicholas Watts made that gun. It's the appearance of the lock panels.
Well it is fun to guess who it was built for but the real fun is owning the piece and shooting it. I appreciate all your information. It is very helpful in learning more about GRF. I am going to keep an eye out for more of their guns. I especially want one of the pistols but they sure don’t seem to show up anywhere for sale.
Thanks again for all your help
LC

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I was living on a shoestring as a young adult in the 1970's and early 80's. I really wanted one of the GRF Northwest Guns, but all I could afford was their catalog.

Forty plus years later, I am now fortunate in owning a North Star West Northwest gun, and I am very happy with it.

The only thing I can add to the discussion is to point out that Track of the Wolf offers a trade gun lock of their own now. The Davis Tryon lock was said to be a very slightly oversized replacement for the LOTT lock, but as noted in several of the posts above, the Davis locks are difficult or impossible to obtain now. Track's trade gun lock ( https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/721/1/LOCK-NW ) is shown as currently "Backordered," but Muzzleloader Builders Supply (MBS) has them listed as available, as their LK-19601. The MBS product description says, "This lock is assembled by Track of the Wolf," and they specifically say it will replace the LOTT lock. If I needed one of these locks, or wanted one badly enough, I would probably go ahead and order it. For all of the lock choices that are "out there" these days, it seems the dealers are having difficulty keeping many of them in stock.

Considering the popularity and interest in NW guns, I think it's just crazy that somebody doesn't make more locks available for them. I'd like to see a NW gun lock with a double-throated cock, also. These post-date that magical "pre-1840" timeframe, but the later NW guns are interesting, too.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I was living on a shoestring as a young adult in the 1970's and early 80's. I really wanted one of the GRF Northwest Guns, but all I could afford was their catalog.

Forty plus years later, I am now fortunate in owning a North Star West Northwest gun, and I am very happy with it.

The only thing I can add to the discussion is to point out that Track of the Wolf offers a trade gun lock of their own now. The Davis Tryon lock was said to be a very slightly oversized replacement for the LOTT lock, but as noted in several of the posts above, the Davis locks are difficult or impossible to obtain now. Track's trade gun lock ( https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/721/1/LOCK-NW ) is shown as currently "Backordered," but Muzzleloader Builders Supply (MBS) has them listed as available, as their LK-19601. The MBS product description says, "This lock is assembled by Track of the Wolf," and they specifically say it will replace the LOTT lock. If I needed one of these locks, or wanted one badly enough, I would probably go ahead and order it. For all of the lock choices that are "out there" these days, it seems the dealers are having difficulty keeping many of them in stock.

Considering the popularity and interest in NW guns, I think it's just crazy that somebody doesn't make more locks available for them. I'd like to see a NW gun lock with a double-throated cock, also. These post-date that magical "pre-1840" timeframe, but the later NW guns are interesting, too.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks Bob. I will look into the TOW locks. Like I said mine works great but it never hurts to have a back up, because as we all know stuff does happen. As for all the TOW trade gun parts I have a friend who finally canceled his order for their parts after being given multiple ship dates that kept coming and going with no shipping. I think he waited close to a year before he just said enough it enough.

I appreciate your input. Thanks again.
LC

It is a shame that TOW is not living up to their expectations. I have been through something like that with another company with my castings and they aren't around anymore. There are three things that could be happening with TOW. 1) The company that is doing the casting for them isn't capable of larger production runs whether it be the wax mold end or the casting/cleanup end of the process and TOW needs to get another one to do the work. 2) TOW doesn't have a large enough facility whether it is of their own or another company for completion of more locks. 3) They can't or won't pay for an expansion of assembly because of profit concerns even though they will catch it up later. This goes 2 ways a) they see they are behind on the demand and think people will wait so they can maintain the same profit/piece level [they aren't realizing they don't have the fortuosity to be in the same category as Shilo Sharps]. b) They need to do the #1,2,3 above that would probably narrow their profit/piece margin but it would increase their sales because they wouldn't be loosing customers [while making a bad reputation]. DON'T raise the price as the increased volume would bring the total overall profit higher than before or equal.
I know it is a harsh thing to say about TOW and I have nothing bad to say against them, except they need to use more pictures in their original casting copy offerings. Now I'm believing people are going to start flinging stuff at me, but this is a business model that does work.
So... here we go, i'm pushing the "Post Reply" button:eek:

I thought I would add pictures of my Green River Forge guns. First, and in line with the thread title, is my North West trade gun. This gun is from the Bellevue, Washington company owned by Frank Straight. It came with a hand written letter from Frank Straight to the original owner, but the letter isn't dated. Straight sold the company in early 1977, so it was obviously made before then. The trade gun was likely made in 1976 because it came with an article the owner had saved from the 1976 Guns & Ammo Annual about Green River Forge and its NW trade gun and its flintlock pistol. It's pretty much like the one Buff posted pictures of except mine has a 36-5/16" barrel and still has the original lock. It is also a 20 gauge smoothbore.

IMG-5765-low-res.jpg

IMG-5771-low-res.jpg

The lock is a modified Lott lock. At this time, GRF was taking the same lock that is on Lonesome Charley's gun and filing off some of the cast-in engraving and the "LOTT" name and acid etching the company's initials on the tail and the "circle fox" in front of the cock.
IMG-5806-low-res.jpg

Here are the internals of the lock on my gun. Note there is no "Made in Italy" stamp or any other stamps on the inside of the lock.
IMG-5933-low-res.jpg

Here is a scan of the Lott lock in the TOTW Catalog #12 from 1991 for comparison. Even though the description says, "Made by our friend Davide Pedersoli," the picture below does not show any "Made in Italy" stamp, either. I'm not sure of the significance of this. This is the last catalog that Track listed the Lott lock. The first mention of Pedersoli making the Lott locks that I could find in my collection of TOTW catalogs was in Catalog #10 dated 1983. It is described as, "Our new Lott Locks have more powerful mainsprings and harder frizzens, for quick action and showers of sparks." This suggests that some changes had been made since the late 1970s when Frank Straight was using these locks, and maybe it was the manufacture.
Lott-Lock-TOTW-Catalog-12-1991.jpg

Below is a scan from the same TOTW catalog of the so called "Tryon" NW trade gun lock made by RE Davis with castings from Pete Allan. This would be the lock on Buff's gun.
RE-Davis-Trade-Gun-Lock-TOTW-Catalog-12-1991.jpg

Here's a couple more pictures of my trade gun.
IMG-5788-low-res.jpg

The serpent side plate may be the most distinctive feature of the Green River Forge NW trade gun. In the 1976 Guns & Ammo Annual article by Phil Spangenberger mentioned before, the author wrote, "Of special note is the brass serpentine sideplate which Frank Straight of Green River Forge tells me was cast from an original plate."
IMG-5815-low-res.jpg

It is a shame that TOW is not living up to their expectations. I have been through something like that with another company with my castings and they aren't around anymore. There are three things that could be happening with TOW. 1) The company that is doing the casting for them isn't capable of larger production runs whether it be the wax mold end or the casting/cleanup end of the process and TOW needs to get another one to do the work. 2) TOW doesn't have a large enough facility whether it is of their own or another company for completion of more locks. 3) They can't or won't pay for an expansion of assembly because of profit concerns even though they will catch it up later. This goes 2 ways a) they see they are behind on the demand and think people will wait so they can maintain the same profit/piece level [they aren't realizing they don't have the fortuosity to be in the same category as Shilo Sharps]. b) They need to do the #1,2,3 above that would probably narrow their profit/piece margin but it would increase their sales because they wouldn't be loosing customers [while making a bad reputation]. DON'T raise the price as the increased volume would bring the total overall profit higher than before or equal.
I know it is a harsh thing to say about TOW and I have nothing bad to say against them, except they need to use more pictures in their original casting copy offerings. Now I'm believing people are going to start flinging stuff at me, but this is a business model that does work.
So... here we go, i'm pushing the "Post Reply" button:eek:

I agree. I have worked for companies that are no longer around because they grew faster than they should have and were ill prepared for he growth. I personally have never had any issue with TOW except the number of Items I have looked at buying from them only to see them backordered or out of stock. Reality can be harsh, and either we learn from it or we don’t. No reason to fling anything at anyone.

I thought I would add pictures of my Green River Forge guns. First, and in line with the thread title, is my North West trade gun. This gun is from the Bellevue, Washington company owned by Frank Straight. It came with a hand written letter from Frank Straight to the original owner, but the letter isn't dated. Straight sold the company in early 1977, so it was obviously made before then. The trade gun was likely made in 1976 because it came with an article the owner had saved from the 1976 Guns & Ammo Annual about Green River Forge and its NW trade gun and its flintlock pistol. It's pretty much like the one Buff posted pictures of except mine has a 36-5/16" barrel and still has the original lock. It is also a 20 gauge smoothbore.

IMG-5765-low-res.jpg

IMG-5771-low-res.jpg

The lock is a modified Lott lock. At this time, GRF was taking the same lock that is on Lonesome Charley's gun and filing off some of the cast-in engraving and the "LOTT" name and acid etching the company's initials on the tail and the "circle fox" in front of the cock.
IMG-5806-low-res.jpg

Here are the internals of the lock on my gun. Note there is no "Made in Italy" stamp or any other stamps on the inside of the lock.
IMG-5933-low-res.jpg

Here is a scan of the Lott lock in the TOTW Catalog #12 from 1991 for comparison. Even though the description says, "Made by our friend Davide Pedersoli," the picture below does not show any "Made in Italy" stamp, either. I'm not sure of the significance of this. This is the last catalog that Track listed the Lott lock. The first mention of Pedersoli making the Lott locks that I could find in my collection of TOTW catalogs was in Catalog #10 dated 1983. It is described as, "Our new Lott Locks have more powerful mainsprings and harder frizzens, for quick action and showers of sparks." This suggests that some changes had been made since the late 1970s when Frank Straight was using these locks, and maybe it was the manufacture.
Lott-Lock-TOTW-Catalog-12-1991.jpg

Below is a scan from the same TOTW catalog of the so called "Tryon" NW trade gun lock made by RE Davis with castings from Pete Allan. This would be the lock on Buff's gun.
RE-Davis-Trade-Gun-Lock-TOTW-Catalog-12-1991.jpg

Here's a couple more pictures of my trade gun.
IMG-5788-low-res.jpg

The serpent side plate may be the most distinctive feature of the Green River Forge NW trade gun. In the 1976 Guns & Ammo Annual article by Phil Spangenberger mentioned before, the author wrote, "Of special note is the brass serpentine sideplate which Frank Straight of Green River Forge tells me was cast from an original plate."
IMG-5815-low-res.jpg
Thank you Phil. Very informative. Everything on my trade gun is the same except the lock still has Lott stamped on it and the barrel is blued. Nice looking trade gun you have there. I am enjoying mine and it has received a lot of compliments on the highly figured wood as well as the condition the gun is in. It has been suggested that the gun I have is one that Frank might have build as a presentation gun. The No 1 on the barrel and the extra figured maple stock would seem to make it either a special order or something build special for someone. Not sure but it makes some sense to me. But I am bit on the ignorant side of this equation. I am learning a lot from you and a couple others and am loving every bit of it.

Thanks again
LC

Thank you Phil. Very informative. Everything on my trade gun is the same except the lock still has Lott stamped on it and the barrel is blued. Nice looking trade gun you have there. I am enjoying mine and it has received a lot of compliments on the highly figured wood as well as the condition the gun is in. It has been suggested that the gun I have is one that Frank might have build as a presentation gun. The No 1 on the barrel and the extra figured maple stock would seem to make it either a special order or something build special for someone. Not sure but it makes some sense to me. But I am bit on the ignorant side of this equation. I am learning a lot from you and a couple others and am loving every bit of it.

Thanks again
LC

You're welcome, Lonesome.

Your gun is unique. I saw it when it was auctioned off several months ago. I submitted a low bid, but wasn't to serious about it because it looked different and I already had one. The guy in Oklahoma that won that auction contacted me through my website, and we shared some pictures and thoughts on it. I assume he is the person you purchased it from.

The engraving in particular stands out to me. I'll post some more pics of my GRF Hudson's Bay Factor's Pistol a little later and will show the engraving on it, which isn't near as good as the engraving on your gun. That and the fact that my NW trade gun is acid etched instead of engraved indicates to me that no one at GRF was good at engraving. Your gun was likely engraved by someone outside the company. There are a few other little details that are different, but the serpent sideplate is definitely the same.

I would agree that your gun is a special order. Beyond that, I can only speculate.

You're welcome, Lonesome.

Your gun is unique. I saw it when it was auctioned off several months ago. I submitted a low bid, but wasn't to serious about it because it looked different and I already had one. The guy in Oklahoma that won that auction contacted me through my website, and we shared some pictures and thoughts on it. I assume he is the person you purchased it from.

The engraving in particular stands out to me. I'll post some more pics of my GRF Hudson's Bay Factor's Pistol a little later and will show the engraving on it, which isn't near as good as the engraving on your gun. That and the fact that my NW trade gun is acid etched instead of engraved indicates to me that no one at GRF was good at engraving. Your gun was likely engraved by someone outside the company. There are a few other little details that are different, but the serpent sideplate is definitely the same.

I would agree that your gun is a special order. Beyond that, I can only speculate.
According to one member here who commented on the gun, he believes it was engraved by Nicholas Watts who worked for Frank in the early to mid 70s. The man who posted said he went to work there in 77 when Nicholas was on his way out. I am getting pretty interested in these guns and would love to learn a lot more about Frank and these guns. Thank you so much for your help and I look forward to seeing your factor’s pistol. I need to look into the GRRW collectors site.
LC

Phil Meek, I know that there is a difference between GRF and GRRW but one of the first Hawkins I handled back so many years ago was a GRRW Hawken at a shop in So Cal called Lock Stock and Barrel. I craved that gun but just couldn’t swing the price...when I finally got into the crazy world of burning powder I picked up an Allen Santa Fe Hawken. I still have that one but am looking at adding to my quiver of muzzle loaders..This GRF Trade Gun is a good start in getting more involved in the game.
LC

Go to my website at http://grrw.org/green-river-forge/ for a brief history of the Green River Forge companies. And yes, I mean plural. There were three successive companies.

Here is my Green River Forge Hudson's Bay Factor's Pistol.
IMG-1925-low-res.jpg

Here is a close-up of the lock showing where Nicholas Watts engraved "GRF" over his name. I think anyone can clearly see that the engraving on the pistol lock isn't the same as on Lonesome's trade gun, and the two weren't engraved by the same hand.
IMG-1928-low-res.jpg

When I first got this pistol, I exchanged emails with a former GRF employee. It might have been 1861colt, I can't tell from the alias. That person gave me a little history on Nicholas Watts. Watts was from England and may have worked in the gun industry there. He was the lock specialist at GRF in addition to being a gun maker. He took commercially made locks and modified them for GRF guns. He added the sliding safety on the lock shown above. In addition, he modified the shape of the pan to better represent a higher end English lock consistent with the sliding safety. He improved the roller on the heel of the frizzen and rounded the tail of the lock. The image below shows the internal changes he made.

IMG-3052-low-res.jpg

The top lock in the image above is a sample of an unaltered lock. The bottom lock is the one on my pistol. Note the modifications that Watts made around the pan to "water-proof" it. He also plugged the pre-drilled lock bolt hole and added a piece to the bridle for the lock bolt to screw into. The mainsprings are a little different, so he may have made a new one or modified the one that came with the lock.

The lock he started out with and modified was the CVA Deluxe Kentucky lock. That's a lot of work to make those modifications, but it was the only way they could come close to duplicating the original English lock.
IMG-1994-low-res.jpg

The pistol was made with a belt hook. It has silver escutcheons and a silver thumb piece. The tip on the ramrod is horn. The pistol also has a hooked breech, which according to the advertisements and catalog was standard for the model.

IMG-1933-low-res.jpg

I have no idea of how many of these pistols Green River Forge made and sold. Mine is the only factory made one I've seen for sale in the last 13 years I've been collecting 1970s vintage muzzleloaders.

The original owner of Buff's trade gun had a kit build Factor's Pistol for sale at one time. I wasn't too interested in it at the time, being made from a kit, and also because it was a percussion. Buff's trade gun is the one in this photo with the percussion Factor's Pistol.

IMG-1229-low-res.jpg

I've seen one other pistol for sale on the internet that was purported to be a GRF Factor's Pistol, but it didn't fit the pattern and probably not what it was advertised to be.

These definitely aren't very common.

Phil Meek, I know that there is a difference between GRF and GRRW but one of the first Hawkins I handled back so many years ago was a GRRW Hawken at a shop in So Cal called Lock Stock and Barrel. I craved that gun but just couldn’t swing the price...when I finally got into the crazy world of burning powder I picked up an Allen Santa Fe Hawken. I still have that one but am looking at adding to my quiver of muzzle loaders..This GRF Trade Gun is a good start in getting more involved in the game.
LC

That's pretty much how I got started, too. I was in college when I saw articles and ads for GRRW Hawken rifles. I really wanted one, but couldn't afford a factory rifle then. I did eventually order three kits from GRRW before they closed in 1980. In 2007, I saw a GRRW Hawken for sale on TOTW that was darn close to what I wanted in the 1970s, so I bought it. A year later I saw another GRRW Hawken advertised for sale in Pueblo, CO (I live near Denver), and I drove down there to look at it and ended up buying it, too. About a half year after that purchase I saw an ad on the internet from a guy in California that was selling a GRRW Hawken and a Poor Boy. I knew the Poor Boy's were rare and negotiated a purchase for it. Without even realizing it, I had become a collector.

I've had as much or more fun studying, researching, and learning about the guns than from collecting them. I think a lot of collectors are like that.

The interest in some of these muzzleloaders has increased in recent years, and so has their prices. But there are still some good buys out there if one knows what to look for.

Last year, Rock Island Auctions had a Hawken replica in one of their auctions. They misidentified it and wrote a poor description of it. I could tell by looking at it that it was probably a GRRW Hawken, so I put in a low ball bid just for the heck of it. My bid won. When it arrived, I saw that it had all the correct markings for a factory finished rifle. This year, I saw another auction with what looked like a GRRW Hawken in it. I thought it might be a kit build Hawken but very well done. I put a low ball bid in and won it. It should arrive next week, so I don't know the end of the story on that one yet.

One of the funniest stories, at least I have to keep a sense of humor about it, was a few years ago. I saw this Hawken rifle listed at a major auction house with a NW trade gun. The trade gun was identified as an antique and made by a British gun maker. The Hawken was described as a contemporary copy, but with no makers name. I recognized it as a GRRW Hawken and put in a pretty serious bid for it and the antique trade gun, but was way out bid. The pair sold for over $10,000. Turns out the trade gun was one that the British government bought for their Indian allies during the War of 1812.

39299511.jpg

A year or 18 months later a friend and fellow collector from Kansas called me about a Hawken rifle he had just bought at the Kansas City gun show. He was so excited I could hardly understand him. When he got the rifle home he took the barrel out of the stock and on the bottom flats were stamped "BRIDGER COMMEMORATIVE Ser. No. 1". He sent me pictures a few days later, and I recognized it as the rifle in the lot with the trade gun above. Had the auction house not included it in a lot with a valuable antique NW trade gun, I probably would have won it instead of my friend.

It's all part of the thrills and chills of collecting.

That's pretty much how I got started, too. I was in college when I saw articles and ads for GRRW Hawken rifles. I really wanted one, but couldn't afford a factory rifle then. I did eventually order three kits from GRRW before they closed in 1980. In 2007, I saw a GRRW Hawken for sale on TOTW that was darn close to what I wanted in the 1970s, so I bought it. A year later I saw another GRRW Hawken advertised for sale in Pueblo, CO (I live near Denver), and I drove down there to look at it and ended up buying it, too. About a half year after that purchase I saw an ad on the internet from a guy in California that was selling a GRRW Hawken and a Poor Boy. I knew the Poor Boy's were rare and negotiated a purchase for it. Without even realizing it, I had become a collector.

I've had as much or more fun studying, researching, and learning about the guns than from collecting them. I think a lot of collectors are like that.

The interest in some of these muzzleloaders has increased in recent years, and so has their prices. But there are still some good buys out there if one knows what to look for.

Last year, Rock Island Auctions had a Hawken replica in one of their auctions. They misidentified it and wrote a poor description of it. I could tell by looking at it that it was probably a GRRW Hawken, so I put in a low ball bid just for the heck of it. My bid won. When it arrived, I saw that it had all the correct markings for a factory finished rifle. This year, I saw another auction with what looked like a GRRW Hawken in it. I thought it might be a kit build Hawken but very well done. I put a low ball bid in and won it. It should arrive next week, so I don't know the end of the story on that one yet.

One of the funniest stories, at least I have to keep a sense of humor about it, was a few years ago. I saw this Hawken rifle listed at a major auction house with a NW trade gun. The trade gun was identified as an antique and made by a British gun maker. The Hawken was described as a contemporary copy, but with no makers name. I recognized it as a GRRW Hawken and put in a pretty serious bid for it and the antique trade gun, but was way out bid. The pair sold for over $10,000. Turns out the trade gun was one that the British government bought for their Indian allies during the War of 1812.

View attachment 25324

A year or 18 months later a friend and fellow collector from Kansas called me about a Hawken rifle he had just bought at the Kansas City gun show. He was so excited I could hardly understand him. When he got the rifle home he took the barrel out of the stock and on the bottom flats were stamped "BRIDGER COMMEMORATIVE Ser. No. 1". He sent me pictures a few days later, and I recognized it as the rifle in the lot with the trade gun above. Had the auction house not included it in a lot with a valuable antique NW trade gun, I probably would have won it instead of my friend.

It's all part of the thrills and chills of collecting.
Wow, thank you so much. Your web site is outstanding. I feel lucky to have connected with you. Your research and passion is inspiring. I'd love to find other quality guns of the era. But just talking to those, like yourself who are so knowledgeable is more than I could hope for, whether I find a gun or not.

It's likely all the information I've learned about my trade gun is all that is out there. Speculations and assumptions are nice but dont really cut it. I love talking history and learning from those I talk to. The best part of owning anything that has history is the connection we can have with that past.

I feel I am very fortunate to have won the bid of this GRF Tade Gun. It's a beautiful piece and it shoots better than I do.

If I ask a dumb question or appear to make an assumption please dont hesitate to set me straight. We learn best by our own blunder .

Thank you so much for your insight and informatio .
LC

Back