• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green mtn barrel opinion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 15/16 .54 caliber GM barrel from TOW to drop-in my TC Hawken last year. It shot so well, I built a fullstock flintlock Hawken and a Kentucky flintlock pistol with Green Mountain barrels, all shoot excellent.

I bought a 15/16 .54 caliber GM barrel from TOTW to drop-in my TC Hawken last year. It shot so well, I built a fullstock flintlock Hawken and a Kentucky flintlock pistol with Green Mountain barrels, all shoot excellent.
we shot our .54 drop in from GMB two days ago. I was shocked when I hit the steel at 100 yards,and i am not a talented off hand shooter. Used a 535 ball with .20 patch. We shot with 70 fffg. I was even more surprised at the comfortable recoil. the barrel was matched with a TC hawken stock refinised by ramblinman.. down in LA..
I have a .50 GMB in a different hawken stock that shoots great too. My buddie borrowed it for a shoot in VA and shot in the top 3.
I have used ballistol (1/7) for my patch lube and hot H20 to clean followed by Balliston to oil for storage. If anyone has a better clean/protect plan for GMB please let me know.
thanks

I have the same one. It's a good barrel but was not getting better groups than the stock barrel till I discovered the thing like 3F more than 2F. I can get 2"- 2 1/2" most times @ 50 yds with my peep sight. With 2F GOEX or Swiss , I am around 3" Olde Eyensford does not seem to be a good powder. I dont know why , my stock barrel likes Old Eyes. I will try 3F Swiss and if it does better I will use that rather than Goex. The patch like to tear with a hotter load than 45 gr. of 3f.

If your patch is tearing with your hot load of 45 grains of powder and what patch thickness, you might want to use a thicker patch. Or use a patch that you lubricate just prior to loading. If your patches are pre lubed and have been stored for a time, the patch material is known to deteriorate.

I have regular ticking patch material of about .018 to .02 . I have a hunch I am too light on the lube. I seldom lube much cause I always wondered if it ruins the powder.

Back