• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain T/C Replacement Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new Green Mountain 32" long rifle barrel in .54 caliber with a 1-66 rate of twist is mounted on the TC stock. It fits like a glove and I am very pleased. The longer barrel is interesting.

I put the original 28" TC .50 caliber barrel, cleaned & oiled, in the packing box along with all .50 caliber jags and brushes, stored in the safe and put away for now. With the new .54 caliber jag and brush I also bought 100 Speer round balls in .530 caliber. I have an array of ticking thicknesses most of which are cut in strips, soaked in Dutch Schultz's recipe, dried and put in a zip lock with the thickness written on them in sharpee pen.

I cleaned the new barrel until the patches have no more grease on them. I used Hoppes Black Powder Solvent. I will use Schultz's moose milk for cleaning between shots if need or I might try Murphy's Soap. At the end of the day I usually clean the barrel in a bucket of hot soapy water and then gun oil the barrel thoroughly inside and out with a couple of saturated patches on the end of a cleaning rod.

Any suggestions or comments on breaking in a Green Mountain black powder rifle barrel?

I haven't broke-in a black powder rifle barrel in 40-years.

Thanks! Glen

Watch for a sharp crown. My experience is that GM barrels like a tight patch, but if the crown on a new barrel is left too sharp at the factory as is often the case, it will cut the patch as you seat a ball and wreck the accuracy potential.

Might sound "radical" if you've never done it, but if you run into poor accuracy and cuts around the radius of the ball in recovered patches, it's a sure fix. Use the ball of your thumb to press a tab of 320 or 400 grit wet/dry paper onto the muzzle. Press down firmly and rotate the barrel a few times. It doesn't much to "break" that sharp edge, and the jump in accuracy is immediate and astounding. Even pressure on your thumb results in a really even break.

Watch for a sharp crown. My experience is that GM barrels like a tight patch, but if the crown on a new barrel is left too sharp at the factory as is often the case, it will cut the patch as you seat a ball and wreck the accuracy potential.

Might sound "radical" if you've never done it, but if you run into poor accuracy and cuts around the radius of the ball in recovered patches, it's a sure fix. Use the ball of your thumb to press a tab of 320 or 400 grit wet/dry paper onto the muzzle. Press down firmly and rotate the barrel a few times. It doesn't much to "break" that sharp edge, and the jump in accuracy is immediate and astounding. Even pressure on your thumb results in a really even break.

This is appreciated advice as I've noticed the crown is much "sharper" than my TC barrel. I will do as you advised. Will be shooting it this afternoon and will let you know how it goes. Thank you, Brown Bear.

In a fit of desperation several years ago I sold my GM .58 barreled TC Renegade. I wish I had it back. I’ll admit I didn’t shoot it a whole lot but it was a beauty.

I've been benching my TC gun w/the new GM .54 cal. 1-66 twist and 32" from Track of the Wolf.

So far it likes the dry patches (Dutch Schultz recipe) at .015 w/a .530 ball and 90 grains of FFG Goex. I spit swab after each shot per advice above (works great!), no problems seating a ball this way.

Bench work dead rest, is at 25yds. It prints so far nearly one hole with a dead on sight picture. Of course this is absolutely bench rested, no wind, very pleasant shooting.

I will test it again tomorrow with another 6 shots and two more clicks up on the sight to get it in the orange of the bull. I'm completely amazed at the way this barrel is printing and look forward to practicing offhand at 25yds or meters... I'm practicing for an offhand shoot next weekend. Hope to post some pics tomorrow.

I clean it with warm soap and water in a bucket with a patched jag and then a patched brush, I dry it with patches, swab it again with a BP solvent same as above, dry it with more patches again and then run a patch soaked with WD-40 down and up once. I clean the nipple each time and the snail (?) with a que-tip each cleaning.. Then I put it in the case and stand it barrel down over night.

I have more patch strips, .015 thickness drying on screen for later tomorrow (Dutch Schultz recipe).

It is so nice to be shooting something that is more gratifying. I'm so glad I saved my loot for this barrel. More later :) Glen

IF GREEN Mountain is advertising the barrel you want, buy t from them.
I purchased one from them, much as you describe only in .45 some 30 or more years ago..
Excellent barrel.
You can get similar, if not equal accuracy from your original T/C barrel if you are willing to do the wee bit of fine tuning.

Dutch Schoultz

I am looking for a new Green Mountain replacement barrel for my T/C Hawken cap lock rifle. 15/16ths diameter, 1-66 round ball twist, .54 caliber, with breech plug, under lug rib, 32", or length that will fit my T/C Hawken, with ram rod pipes and sights.

TOW seems to be out, "back ordered" they list...

I can't see that Green Mountain advertises them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Glen

Glen, you seem to be delighted with Dutch's Dry Patch lube System.
Before you graduate yourself to Offhand, Do further bench rest shooting at 50 yards and possibly 100..
This tells you how accurate your rifle is when free of your own natural swaying about.
The results of those bench tests will tell how accurate you could possibly be shooting offhand, It tells you what your goals are when shooting offhand.

Your cleaning method is certainly thorough but if you have a patent breech, you will not be able to get all that water out of the breech area with dry patches.
I believe you have Dutch's instructions for a quick almost waterless rifle cleaning method. You might try that..

Paul Schoultz, Dutch's dead uncle

I've been benching my TC gun w/the new GM .54 cal. 1-66 twist and 32" from Track of the Wolf.

So far it likes the dry patches (Dutch Schultz recipe) at .015 w/a .530 ball and 90 grains of FFG Goex. I spit swab after each shot per advice above (works great!), no problems seating a ball this way.

Bench work dead rest, is at 25yds. It prints so far nearly one hole with a dead on sight picture. Of course this is absolutely bench rested, no wind, very pleasant shooting.

I will test it again tomorrow with another 6 shots and two more clicks up on the sight to get it in the orange of the bull. I'm completely amazed at the way this barrel is printing and look forward to practicing offhand at 25yds or meters... I'm practicing for an offhand shoot next weekend. Hope to post some pics tomorrow.

I clean it with warm soap and water in a bucket with a patched jag and then a patched brush, I dry it with patches, swab it again with a BP solvent same as above, dry it with more patches again and then run a patch soaked with WD-40 down and up once. I clean the nipple each time and the snail (?) with a que-tip each cleaning.. Then I put it in the case and stand it barrel down over night.

I have more patch strips, .015 thickness drying on screen for later tomorrow (Dutch Schultz recipe).

It is so nice to be shooting something that is more gratifying. I'm so glad I saved my loot for this barrel. More later :) Glen

Before you graduate yourself to Offhand, Do further bench rest shooting at 50 yards and possibly 100..
This tells you how accurate your rifle is when free of your own natural swaying about.
The results of those bench tests will tell how accurate you could possibly be shooting offhand, It tells you what your goals are when shooting offhand.

Your cleaning method is certainly thorough but if you have a patent breech, you will not be able to get all that water out of the breech area with dry patches.
I believe you have Dutch's instructions for a quick almost waterless rifle cleaning method. You might try that..

Will do! I will read it over again. Thanks! Glen

I ordered one of the TC Hawken.54 cal GM barrels from TOW last month and ended up returning it for exchange. The bluing on it was messed up like something dripped on it before or after bluing. It had spots all over it that originally I thought would wipe away when oiled but they didn't go away. TOW gave me no issues exchanging it and I had the replacement that same week. Currently have another one on order with them except this one is for .50 cal flintlock.

Dr5X:
Exactly my conundrum;

How do I clean out the "patented breech" area, that mysterious little space leading from the nipple to the load, using your system?

How much moose milk on my cleaning patches should I use when cleaning?

Is this thorough cleaning using the 20-1-1 recipe for cleaning patches as used for swabbing between shots?

When I used the hot-soapy-water-in-a-pail method, that certainly rinsed out the gunk, but how do I get the rust making gunk out of the breach area using the almost waterless rifle cleaning method?

Thanks!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

I am looking for a new Green Mountain replacement barrel for my T/C Hawken cap lock rifle. 15/16ths diameter, 1-66 round ball twist, .54 caliber, with breech plug, under lug rib, 32", or length that will fit my T/C Hawken, with ram rod pipes and sights.

TOW seems to be out, "back ordered" they list...

I can't see that Green Mountain advertises them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Glen
They are in stock right now.
Wish I could find a drop in flint lock barrel .54, 15/16". Anyone have any info on where I can find one I sure would appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back