• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairieofthedog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .54 Green Mountain barrel that I want to send to Bobby Hoyt for a .58 rebore.The threads for the nipple are almost shot so I want Bobby to install a new breechplug.Where do I get a breechplug for this barrel? Thanks.

Need a little more info here.

What "rifle" is this on.

Green Mountain is a barrel maker. Their 54 cal barrels "typically" were breeched to take a 3/4"-16tpi threaded breech plug.

You say the nipple is shot and you want to replace the breech plug (???) - is this a snail breech and the nipple threads are toast?

It's a drop in barrel for a TC Renegade 1" across the flats.The bore is rough and the threads in the snail[where the nipple screws in] are not in good shape.

You can have the bolster drilled and tapped to a larger thread - choose a thread for which #11 nipples are available. OR a "heli coil" can be installed.
TC

Agree, retap and go with an oversized nipple.

If you having the barrel reworked by Bobby he can probably fix up the plug as part of the work he is doing.

Back