• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain Barrels.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I thought I posted this question somewhere but i can't remember where.
Wonder where I can buy a .62 r/b or smoothie drop in GM for my Renegade with 1" barrel channel?
Where can I get some balls....er.....ah...I mean some lead round balls in .62 caliber? :redface:

I bought a 1" .62cal GM smoothbore flint barrel as a drop in for a TC Hawken (same for a Renegade) and it's excellent.
Warren Muzzleloading in Arkansas makes/sells a full line of 100% lead cast balls, which they then run through tumblers to remove sprus & polish them.
I've test fired their .550's in a TC .56cal smoothbore at 50yds and they were great...ordered some .600's for my .62 but haven't used them yet.

I've also bought a GM .58cal 1:70" RB barrel as a drop in for a TC Hawken and it's extremely accurate with Hornady and Speer .570's with 80-100grns Goex FFg.

You can order directly from GM but you'll pay MSRP...I've order through Cain's Outdoors in West Va. to get a more normal price

My .62 caliber smoothbore, shot, cards, wads, and .600 round ball is being delivered today :: :: ::. I also have a .54 caliber Renegade. This interchangable barrel is a drop in. I also have a .58 caliber 1:70 twist which should be here any day is ordered and a .54 caliber with 1:28 is in the REAL near future. I am buying them through "Track of the Wolf." I think the smoothie was $169.00 and they are in stock.

O.K. guys, talk to me.
Do I want a .62 smoothie or a rifled roundball shooter?
Lets here the pros and cons.
I'm a black powder junkie, beyond any hope of salvation!
I have several T/C and Lyman b.p. guns and some really nice custom works of art by birddog6.
Now I need another caliber like I need 50 pairs of shoes, but being the hopeless lost soul that I am I just cain't hep mawself! :haha:
Can we kick this thing around a bit and help be decide on a smoothie or rifled bore?
AND NO!! I an't buyin' both of 'em.
(well maybe?)
What can I expect in accuracy from the smooie and a p/r/b?
What is realistic at say 50 to 75 yards?
How much does a .62 roundball weigh?
Thank for the input.
Maxiball (nice name for a bullet what?)

My .62 caliber smoothbore came today along with all the trimmings. The only problem is they no longer make it in a 32 inch and it came in a 28 inch barrel length. I am a little concerned about the difference this loss of four inches will make. I know there is a lot of experienced smooth bore shooters on this board. So you think I should send this back and look for something else? I could send it and all the stuff back right now. What do you think?

I really want to shoot it, but I know that once I shoot it, I own it. I am hoping this would work for turkey and bunnies as well as shoot a round ball reasonably well enough to take a deer or two off the property. What are your thoughts reference the shorter barrel?

I appreciate the advise....

What are you concerned about?
If it's velocity I wouldn't be concerned about the 4 inches as I doubt you'd notice any difference between 32 aned 28.
You might get a bit more muzzle blast though.
My T/C 12 ga. is 26" and that sucker is LOUD!, light, and with 1 & 1/4 oz of shot it kicks about as bad as anything I've shot including my Sako .375 H&H that weighs 7.5 pounds.
Heck send the barrel to me and I'll test it for you and chronograph some loads and get it back to you in, say, 5 years or so. :haha: :haha:
Also 4" less barrel will not affect patterning at all either.
The shot pattern is much more a function of choke, vs. no choke, and load development.

Most folks report good results with 30, 36 and 42 inch smoothie barrels once the best load is found, same goes for the short 24 inch "canoe guns" I doubt you will see much difference twixt a 28 and 32 inch barrel.

My GM .62cal smoothbore is a 28" and it puts 29 #6 pellets through a 4" tuna can at 30 yards

:: :: :: Tomorrow I have declared a non work day. I am going out in the yard and playing with the new gun all day. I need to work up some loads for turkey hunting. All I have is some #4 shot but that should work good. I always used it in the modern shotguns for turkey and without asking advise, bought it for the smoothbore. I think if I can pop about 10 pellets in the danger zone on one of them birds I can bring it down. I remember one I shot a few years back, I cleaned it and to this day wonder where that bird was hit.

Thanks for the come back guys... I really know nothing about these guns. I was worried that maybe I should send it back. Knowing Roundball gets good results is good enough for me.... And what you others told me makes me sure I can get that thing to shoot fine....

Back