• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great plains trade rifle or used TC Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve paid anywhere from $250 to $400 for Renegades here in Canada.
Walk

2018 I picked up a .50 Renegade with Thompson Center rear aperture sight for $250 in Edmonton Alberta- the sight alone I’ve seen fetch for $250- good score for me.
My Renegade absolutely loves shooting the Hornady FPB on top of 80grs of Pyrodex RS.
Working on my cast TC Maxi-Hunters now. (Yes not 100% trad but I could care less what the purists might say and it’s my gun so move along, I also replaced the front blade site with a fiber optic)
I built the Lyman GPR .54 kit back in 2009 with 1:60 twist. I could’ve went with the 1:32 but cast round balls do it for me.
I like the Renegade for its smaller size compared to the GPR- ideal for tree-stands, blind or long treks.
I like the GPR for its authenticity when comparing towards a real Hawken and she carries well, very well in that it’s a almost what I prefer to take along every time I head out to the bush. What might matter to you is both rifles have two completely different styles of metal butt plate. If you’re not ready for it, the GPR’s trad curve can change your mind if not held correctly. The Renegades smooth semi straight butt plate can be more forgiving. My standard load is 80grs of powder for both. You’ll notice a difference too with the different overall weights and recoil.
IMO I’d pass on the pitting and go for the GPR.
Either way, they both make clouds of smoke and it all boils down to what you want.
Cheers and keep your powder dry!

I wouldn't buy a gun with a pitted bore unless I was looking for a project. If you just want to buy and go shoot, I'd pass on that one.

729FC8A7-8218-4046-A522-2EB0C59D9EFA.jpeg

For your viewing pleasure.
Showing size comparison FYSA.
Both have synthetic ram rods. Renegade wears a TC flexible and GPR wears a delrin rod from TOTW
Cheers

Attachments

• 13A5AC50-1CA1-4330-9856-45544E3EE4A3.jpeg
    13A5AC50-1CA1-4330-9856-45544E3EE4A3.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 178
  • F66BBAD7-66AA-4E66-8D39-BAABEF5ED291.jpeg
    F66BBAD7-66AA-4E66-8D39-BAABEF5ED291.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
cnorth,
Also examine the Renegade closely for cracking of the wood of the stock on the other side opposite from the hammer. That is not uncommon for the TC's and would be a sale killer.

A used TC Renegade was my first Muzzleloader back in the early 1980s. It was a good gun for the $100 I paid for it. I am picky about gun fit and the stock is a bit tall for me. I have a GPR and that stock is too low for my face. The TC Hawken and the Lyman Trade rifle both fit me very well..........if you can I recommend getting whatever gun fits you the best. They are both quality guns but a gun That fitS you will make Your shooting more enjoyable and possibly more accurate for you. Greg

Both rifles are good ones. The market was flooded with Thompsons not so with Lymans . People sometimes say they have the best simply because they own a particular rifle? I have had good and bad ones. The Lyman was one of the best M.L. s I have ever owned It would be my pick but the Thompson isn't a bad choice. You can't go wrong in my opinion.

i've been a T/C fan for many years ... not PC / HC, but a very reliable rifle which will go "bang" every time (assuming you do your part) the 'factory' barrels shoot straighter than i can hold them, and they can (usually) be had at a pretty fair price.

if possible, see which rifle fits you better - this will be a big deal later on.

also, get a copy of Dutch Schoultz' method - here's a link:

Black powder rifle accuracy system -

BobbyHoyt is a great fellow but he does not (as i remember) have a web site, so you have to call him - be patient, he is often in his shop and can't hear the phone ... the effort is well worth it!

Good luck, and Make Good Smoke :)

Just my 2 cents, my Lyman feels front heavy and the butt plate isn't as comfortable as the Renegades to me.

Most of my TC muzzleloaders have been purchased at auctions for as little as $100. They may be more plentiful in my area, but plentiful means used. Used means possible pitting in the bore and/or around the nipple. A few shallow pits should still shoot fine, kill game, and be fine for years of fun.

If the bore is heavily pitted, and you want a project gun, go for it. I would make sure you are seeing pits in the bore and not lead build up. Before you pass on a gun, consider how likely you will be to see another one.

I am a thompson center fan through and through i own 6 renegades 2 50s 2 54s and 2 ive had converted to 58s. The most expensive renegade was around 350.00 for 160.00 Bobby Hoyt will rebore to a .58 i also own a trade rifle in .54 a 2 great plains one a great plains hunter .54 and the great plains 54 roundball twist. Im just partial to the Thompsons on my opinion they are just better built rifles

Bought my first TC in 1974 that was the year Renegades came out. Since then l’ve probably built/rehabbed/pieced together, bought sold and traded a couple hundred of them. Even though the economic downturn has cause them to find better homes at one time in my personal stash l had Renegades in all calibers, Hawkens in every caliber except 58, White Mountain Carbines in all calibers, and a 36 & a 45 Seneca and a couple New Englanders. So yeah, l guess you could say l’m a fan. And if l had 1500 bucks layin’ around l’d get that TC custom shop 58 Flinchlock Hawken that’s on gunbroker now.

And if the Renegade had another 4 to 6 inches of barrel and about 1 & 1/2 inches more length of pull it would be just about the perfect gun.

I am a thompson center fan through and through i own 6 renegades 2 50s 2 54s and 2 ive had converted to 58s. The most expensive renegade was around 350.00 for 160.00 Bobby Hoyt will rebore to a .58 i also own a trade rifle in .54 a 2 great plains one a great plains hunter .54 and the great plains 54 roundball twist. Im just partial to the Thompsons on my opinion they are just better built rifles
Bought my first TC in 1974 that was the year Renegades came out. Since then l’ve probably built/rehabbed/pieced together, bought sold and traded a couple hundred of them. Even though the economic downturn has cause them to find better homes at one time in my personal stash l had Renegades in all calibers, Hawkens in every caliber except 58, White Mountain Carbines in all calibers, and a 36 & a 45 Seneca and a couple New Englanders. So yeah, l guess you could say l’m a fan. And if l had 1500 bucks layin’ around l’d get that TC custom shop 58 Flinchlock Hawken that’s on gunbroker now.

And if the Renegade had another 4 to 6 inches of barrel and about 1 & 1/2 inches more length of pull it would be just about the perfect gun.

I am a piker! So ashamed. Thought I was a T/C fan...

Ive got your old Hawken Bubba she proudly wears a 32 inch green mountain .54 roundball barrel lyman 57sml sight one of my most accurate rifles

Back