• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked this up yesterday. Has never been fired.
EC24F164-B292-4900-8753-D442B7358A38.jpeg
BCB2C89A-7B3A-415B-8207-8CD0B2120093.jpeg
243FAA2B-4211-4616-B79B-77C59721A4B0.jpeg8FC4BA36-3147-4F87-9C72-F57EB783F971.jpeg

Don't have the manual so have gone to Lyman and Investarms. 2 different maximum loads. Know that Pedersoli makes their rifles now. Will send an email to Lyman and ask them maybe. Cleaning it now. Really anxious to shoot it.

Little real experience with them but I like the way they handle and they do look really good.

Same here. Always thought that, in my short lifetime at least, the Lyman GPR is the "best" mass produced(seriously loads of em second only to TC Hawkens) Hawken-esque gun made. It has the lines, and it is robust as can be from all accounts. Being a pawn broker, I have had a 54 cap GPR in the vault for a customer for 1.5 years and he has been paying interest on it the whole time. I only loaned him $100 because in a pawn shop BP MLs don't bring money. But he could have bought a used or even new one on sale for what he has payed in interest on it. If things go south and he can't get it back for some reason, I will give one a shot. Haven't bought a cap gun in a very long time.

I have one in cap lock. .495 Ball, 80gr homemade Black powder and a Ticking patch lubed with olive oil it likes. From new these have sharp edges on the rifling so don`t be surprised if you cut patches for a while. I doubt you will be disappointed.

I love my GPR in 54 cal.
I’ve spent hours trying to find the best load for it to no avail, then a friend of mine suggested starting low. I wound up finding that my rifle actually liked a lower load of 3f than a higher load of 2f. That was odd to me, as many people use 2f in a 54 and larger.
Now, from offhand at 50 yards it holds a 2” group without much trouble and with a .10 patch and 65gr of 3f, has consistently killed deer at 100 yards on 8-10 hunts. I love it.
A patched round ball and 70 to 90 grains of 2f powder, you won't need to max out the load.

Lyman replied that max is 110 grains of 2f. And I will start low and work up. But I will go all the way to the top to see how it shoots that too. Also aren't guns interesting. Had 2 inlines, same make, same model. One would shoot a 1 inch group with 300 grain bullets and the other did the same with 250 grain ones. and neither one would work with the other bullet.

Last edited:
My .54 likes 3F 65 gr. As well as 85 gr. with .530 ball and Walmart pillow ticking with Murphys oil and a touch of olive oil/ mixed with rubbing alcohol.

All my 54's have done well with 80 grains 2Fg, .530 home cast ball pure lead wrapped in .015 or .018 inch cotton patching.

My new load is 60 grains 3F Old E powder under the same ball n patch.

54's have always been my easiest cal to get good loads with. My GPR kit required smoothing the bore and crown before it stopped cutting patch's and began shooting groups.

Back