• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great Plains Rifle Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here replace there lock on the GPR with the L&R thats available from TOW. If so had you ever done anything like that before and are the directions that come with the lock so that its not that hard to do. Im talking so easy even a caveman can do it :grin: . Thanks Al

I replaced the lock on a CVA Mountain Rifle with the L&R RPL lock and it only required very minor inletting touch up, took less than 5 minutes. the hardest part was pulling the drum and rigging up a touch hole, real strange breach on a CVA percussion, not to mention metric threads. but going flint to flint should be a cakewalk. btw, the L&R rpl lock is a pretty decent lock, decent geometry, solid lock, great spark.

I ended up going with the same manufacturer lock. Talking o the guy that sold it to me, who had bought the upgrade, seemed like a fairly involved task but not terrible. I read a lot about it, and it seems that it's the Sear that needs the most work, as its longer on the L&R

I replaced the lock on my cva kentucky. It was not hard. Only required a bit of inleting. Stacey

I put an L&R RPL on a Renegade stock. Took a little whittlin' but my cave man skills were adequate. Keep your tools SHARP and go slow. I don't recall any instructions but that was4-5 years ago.
TC

Worth every penny and minute involved. It will require a fair amount of wood removal, yet the process is not hard at all. If I remember, the lock plate will fit the existing mortise with no issues, thus only internal fitting will be required of the new parts. Your GPR will thank you!

buy the lock directly from l and r, the trigger from davis lock co. both excellent customer service. the triggers and outstanding. put them on my investarms 58 hawken.

Its too easy to take out way too much wood with the Dremel tool. Rest until the urge to use the Dremel tool goes away. You need small wood chisels to remove tiny slivers of wood so your new lock can fit.

Al Rittenhouse said:
What would be the suggested tools for this job? I have a dremel or does one need wood chisels to do this. Thanks Al

Ooo I shiver at the thought of the whirling tool of death! Lol, great for other applications, but stock/ detail inlay work isn't one. Chisel work and patience! :thumbsup:

Yes, in the process of building one of the GPR flint kits. It is really not that difficult, just take your time as others have said. The first thing I would do would be to order a main spring vice, if you don't already have one, you will need it and the cost is not all that much, especially when you think of the cost of waiting for a new spring after you busted the first, ask me how I know! Take the lock apart, put one of the internal parts back on and then chisel out so it and the plate go back into the mortise, then add another part and do the same. If you try to do it with all the internals mounted on the plate it can be very easy to get the wrong impression as to where wood needs to be removed, ask me how I know this as well! You name the mistake and I've probably made it, very good advise on not using a dermal tool, yup, go ahead and ask, and if you think a dermal can do harm in a heart beat then ask be about a full sized router, yup, mean little bugger. I've used my router to cut the barrel and ramrod channels with great success, but I forgot the advise of a very good friend of mine once, "always shut the power off before lifting the router from the work," go ahead ask me. Be careful, go slow, get some inlet black, lipstick, lamp black, something to coat the metal parts being inlet to show where the wood needs to come off. Believe me, if I can do this successfully, then you can, I am not a custom builder, just a guy that is handy with tools, too handy some times :cursing:

Whats the problem with your lock? I dont think you said. My GPR was smashing flints but when I first got it (I would get maybe 11 strikes until I had to knap it), with the help from people on here now its not bad at all.
Trevor

No problem with the lock I just want to update the lock to a better lock. The gun is brand new and I figure Im going to do it anyway. I just ordered my lock and a set of the davis triggers. I don't have the skill or the tools to do this and so I got a hold of Jack Brooks at jslongrifles in Denver. He is going to do the work for me. Thanks to Ron for recommending him Al

Back