• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great penetrating oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of automatic transmission fluid should you use, or does it matter?
My dad always said use dexron ii, early atf used whale oil in it, think that was type A and B they used the whale oil up to like 1970 or something then they made a synthetic oil to replace the whale oil. Dad said it's like gm's secret ingredient and not many other atf use the synthetic whale oil stuff.

I liked the zep, used it at the service company I worked. Couldn't get anymore I think the factory burned down or something. There powder truck soap was good to.

No idea about that. 2008 they went to retail sales, really screwed over their sales force. I some ZEP marked items in Lowes and I ordered a can of "Big Orange" from Amazon a couple of years ago. That's a very effective cleaner for sticky spots. Their MVP was my best seller and I still have some of it.

It's a waterless hand cleaner.

My dad always said use dexron ii, early atf used whale oil in it, think that was type A and B they used the whale oil up to like 1970 or something then they made a synthetic oil to replace the whale oil. Dad said it's like gm's secret ingredient and not many other atf use the synthetic whale oil stuff.
not any more what with WHALES being protected and all.

I'll never buy Kroil again. Just doesn't seem worth the expense. I heard great things about it so I finally ordered it and I only got to use it a couple times before it all evaporated. I'm not trying to knock it, just saying there are other products out there that do as good or maybe better for a cheaper price.

LIQUID WRENCH, was a real surprise too me also?? one never knows does one??

Anything with ketones is not good for you long term. The more you are exposed to it the higher the factor in developing health "issues" late in life. With that said small amounts periodically will most likely not effect you unless your genetic make-up, i.e. family history, says different. Examples of common ketones we use are MEK and acetone. Acetone is more flammable than MEK and should be used with great caution. They occur naturally in the body in TRACE amounts needed for body function to break down fats I believe. Just be cautious when around them.

Soak for a long time.

Get a "Proper" fitting screw driver, tap on the screw to "tighten" it and then tap on the end of the screw driver to remove it.

Often trying to tighten a screw and then backing off will let a person remove it.
I was recently repacking a freelift cylinder on a forklift at the recycling facility of a local university.
The gland nut wouldn't loosen because of rust in the threads.
Hook spanner and a 5 foot cheater pipe? Nope. Not even with penetrating oil.
Hammer and brass punch? Nope.
Ended up using the hook spanner and cheater pipe to tighten it down a very little bit, and it loosened and removed just as it should.

I prefer Dexron mixed 50-50 with kerosene, instead of acetone.
I have made some field expedient Ed's Red from leftover partial containers of Dexron and carburetor cleaner.
Sometimes, I'll even mix in some brake cleaner and spray rust penetrant. (Zep is what we're issued. Evaporates to quickly for my tastes).

Last edited:
50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid ( type F and NOT dexron ) was used in the shop for multiple uses. The mixture was mixed in small batches because of the volatility and the acetone will loose it's effectiveness.

I was recently repacking a freelift cylinder on a forklift...
Ended up using the hook spanner and cheater pipe to tighten it down a very little bit, and it loosened and removed just as it should.

I prefer Dexron mixed 50-50 with kerosene, instead of acetone....
That's an old plumbers trick.
On pipe joints and valves that refuse to loosen even with the biggest pipe wrench, tightening the joint just a little bit will often break the joint loose without a lot of effort. Once it has broken loose, it can be taken apart with quite easily.

Interesting comments about some of this stuff not being good for you. In the late 60's while in the Air Force we used MEK (methylethelketone) and Trike (trichlorethalene), probably spelled wrong, as all purpose solvents. We had a 50 gallon barrel of each in the back of the shop and we used it to clean our hands and tools. We were using a product that we called PRC, intended to seal leaking fuel cells and it was pretty tough once it cured. but the super solvents would cut it. I washed off a plastic flashlight once and it got soft. It was OK, I was 21 and imortal.

Back