• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great penetrating oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting some fine valve grinding compound on the screwdriver tip will help keep it from jumping out of the slot. Just be sure there is no oil in the slot first.
Helps some on flat tipped screwdrivers- works GREAT on Phillips head screwdrivers. I was amazed the first time I tried it.

Nope, the two don't "mix" to become a different solution,, they will always separate.
The idea is to give it a shake before you use it to get both components on the metal where you need it

Putting some fine valve grinding compound on the screwdriver tip will help keep it from jumping out of the slot. Just be sure there is no oil in the slot first.
Helps some on flat tipped screwdrivers- works GREAT on Phillips head screwdrivers. I was amazed the first time I tried it.

Several years ago you could buy a small tube of a compound called screws out, and I think it was nothing more than valve grinding compound. You're absolutely right smoothshooter, works like a charm on Phillips screws.
Squint

Ed's Red also includes kerosene, equal parts of all 3 ingredients. There are also recipes for it using more ingredients.

How many of you remember how to make an eye dropper? One of the first things learned in Chemistry 101.
it's good to hear that someone else knows about ED'S RED, it is rely good!

ED, suggests leaving out the Acetone if you are concerned about ruining the finish. I finally made up some last year. Always was going to but just didn't shoot enough and never got around to it. I'm retired now and 5 minutes from the local range so I shoot more.

50/50 ATF and Acetone works works good as a penetrant. First place I saw it published was in Farm Show magazine.

This is what they came up with:

Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs
PB Blaster: 214 lbs
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50 mix): 50 lbs

I have forgotten how many original UnCivil War period "Cones" or Nipples I've removed over the years that had been rusted in barrels for between 100 and 140 years. I know it has been at least two to three dozen.

WD-40 did nothing with up to a three day soak while PB Blaster worked in a few hours to just overnight, IF any penetrant worked at all.

Gus

FWIW the best penetrating oil one can use is a DIY homemade mix of 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they ”˜scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.

This is what they came up with:

Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs
PB Blaster: 214 lbs
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbsy
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50 mix): 50 lbs
At work, we use a penetrant called 'Free.' It's pretty impressive stuff; wonder where it would fit in that list? If you give it some time to work it'll make its way through rust, hard water deposits, etc., and loosen just about anything.

Latest posts

Back