• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great new cooking channel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44-henry

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I love the Townsends videos, but now that I have watched all those (some several times) I am looking for something new. Found this channel the other day and figured some here would like it (if you have not already seen it). Little different format, but the video quality, sound, and back stories are excellent. There are many videos, here is one to get you started.

Beats the "H" out of the food network!! I'm not a fan of basically raw bacon? I like my bacon fried with some jerky type chew to it. I consider this bacon...."raw." I go to Cracker Barrel just for the Pinto Beans with Ham hocks and Turnip Greens. :)
Two Feathers

SO I was glad she finally found her cap, well it should be under the hat..., went to all that trouble of doing a video in a period kitchen and to try and dress the part, BUT no cap nor bonnet when cooking ???..., she should stay away from Masterpiece Theater's version of Pride and Prejudice when deciding what to wear...., you don't have to actually pretend to be in the first decade of the 19th Century to do a cooking video on a recipe from then... chef Walter Staib who does A Taste of History doesn't, BUT if you do decide to dress the part, then..., do it right.

"Lard" is not trimmed (salted) bacon fat..., you don't want to put that with that much salt, into one's hair. That would have much more salt than modern bacon (which is what she used as it was so soft). Bacon fat is for cooking, only, at that time period.

LD

I've had several people tell me to stay away from lard as a patch lube since it has salt in it. My comment is always why does lard have salt in it and other tallow doesn't?
I have used bacon grease once to test as a lube. My dog seemed to like it a whole lot! I knew enough to clean the barrel before I left the field. It does work, but be reminded, it will rust your barrel quickly.

I've had several people tell me to stay away from lard as a patch lube since it has salt in it. My comment is always why does lard have salt in it and other tallow doesn't?

Excellent Question !

"Lard" doesn't have salt in it, or should not. Bacon fat, improperly called "lard" does. Some folks use bacon fat to make soap, instead of straight lard as the salt does not interfere with the hardening of the soap, which is likely the source for the confusion, but it's not proper lard.

You have to read the label, as sometimes lard will have additives like citric acid as a preservative.

LD

Back