• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great Great Grandads rifle makes meat.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, a copy of his rifle...
A couple years ago, I made as close a copy of GGGrandads rifle I could using pictures. I believe his rifle was made in Illinois about 1850. There was no name on it except Leman on the lock plate. I used an original Leman percussion lock and original Leman butt plate and trigger guard. The wood was local maple. I made the double set triggers.
The 15/16”, .45 caliber caliber barrel is 38 1/2” long.

I hunted hard the 4 day Illinois second season and never had a shot. Friday was the first day of the 3 day muzzleloader season, and I hunted all day without seeing any deer, until this dandy buck appeared out of no where, climbing out of a deep creek bank. I was sitting against a large ash tree with the gun on my knee as the buck walked up to 40 yards and stopped angling toward me. At the shot, he went down kicking a little and then lay still.

I used a .445 round ball with a denim patch lubed with bear oil. The charge was 60 grains 3F Old Eynsford.
98FAD018-1545-4C37-9261-D2127EFD7615.jpeg
e

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for the comments and Likes.
I built this rifle to be a family heirloom, since I can’t get the original back. I will pass this on to a Nephew with a bag and horn. I wanted to give the gun a little family history, and this hunt did that. I’m sure that in a couple generations, there will be tall tales about this gun.😁

Back