Great Great Grandads rifle makes meat.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

okawbow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, a copy of his rifle...
A couple years ago, I made as close a copy of GGGrandads rifle I could using pictures. I believe his rifle was made in Illinois about 1850. There was no name on it except Leman on the lock plate. I used an original Leman percussion lock and original Leman butt plate and trigger guard. The wood was local maple. I made the double set triggers.
The 15/16”, .45 caliber caliber barrel is 38 1/2” long.

I hunted hard the 4 day Illinois second season and never had a shot. Friday was the first day of the 3 day muzzleloader season, and I hunted all day without seeing any deer, until this dandy buck appeared out of no where, climbing out of a deep creek bank. I was sitting against a large ash tree with the gun on my knee as the buck walked up to 40 yards and stopped angling toward me. At the shot, he went down kicking a little and then lay still.

I used a .445 round ball with a denim patch lubed with bear oil. The charge was 60 grains 3F Old Eynsford.
98FAD018-1545-4C37-9261-D2127EFD7615.jpeg
e

Last edited:

Spikebuck

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Exceptional story! Congratulations. You'll remember that one forever. Amazing how you can hunt all day, see nothing, then in just seconds the whole situation changes. Great buck. :thumb:

Hermit Tim

36 Cl.
Reaction score
That is a beautiful rifle. You did a great job on that as well as honoring your elder. Good job on that buck too...

okawbow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the comments and Likes.
I built this rifle to be a family heirloom, since I can’t get the original back. I will pass this on to a Nephew with a bag and horn. I wanted to give the gun a little family history, and this hunt did that. I’m sure that in a couple generations, there will be tall tales about this gun.😁

Latest posts