• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great BP cleaning solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1828.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg
IMG_1830.jpg

Best black-powder cleaner I've heard of is the urine of a three-year old goat, fed only ferns for three days. No kidding - this is better than anything else I've seen here.

Huh, do you really think that the old timers from the 1800's sat around the camp fire arguing about what was the "best" cleaner?
People being people, I would say yes. And I would also bet that on the other side of the campfire two old boys were arguing about the best patch lube, one saying nothing beats rendered bear fat and the other saying "Iffen yu aint got whale oil yu aint got nuthin!"

I use moose milk for patch lube and cleaning, after cleaning I run a patch with WD 40 up and down the bore and leave the ramrod with the patch in the bore. My Hawken has been stored this way for three years and no rust.
what is moose milk? is it the same thing as MOOSE SNOT?

rebs, thanks for the reply to my question sir, what is the percentage of each? a third each? toot.

rebs, thanks for the reply to my question sir, what is the percentage of each? a third each? toot.
22parts water 1part balistol and 1pat murphys oil soap. I got this recipe from Dutch Schultz's book muzzleloading accuracy. It has worked great for me for cleaning and patch lube.

WOW!! now I want to get some of that!! where do I get a bottle of it? with all of that ingredient how how much does it cost? I haver never seen it for sale before! looks to be THE CATS A$$,!!!?

I actually use the MAP solution; equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide. I made the labels up to put on the bottles. It gets some curious looks at the range.

Attached is the PDF file for the label. You may need to size it to fit on the bottle that you are using.

I even made up some other labels in the attachment for COL Stoopnagle's other products.

I melt and pour my favorite lubricant in empty musket cap tins or the tins for airgun pellets. The label for COL Stoopnagle's lubricant goes on the lid of the tins.

IMG_1210.jpg

To clean my flints, frizzen and pans, I use alcohol but add a drop of yellow food coloring then put it in an empty bottle of Cholula's hot sauce with the label for COL Stoopnagle's Frizzen Cleaner.

IMG_1834.jpg
IMG_1832.jpg
IMG_1833.jpg

Did COL Stoopnagle really exist? Judge for yourselves.

There were skeptics back in the day like Mrs. Chiselbottom.

Attachments

• Stoopnagle Blackpowder Product Labels.pdf
    853.1 KB · Views: 124
what is moose milk? is it the same thing as MOOSE SNOT?

Toot, you asked this question back in November, 2020 and responded on 7 November 2020.
thanks' to all of you guys that came back to me with an explanation on the difference between MOOSE MILK & MOOSE SNOT.
We can read the entire previous thread.
What is Moosemilk | Page 2 | The Muzzleloading Forum

In its simplest form, Moose Milk is any mixture of a water soluble oil that emulsifies in water to produce a milky colored liquid. Most often here on the Forum, Moose Milk is mixture of a variable quantity of Ballistol and water. Sometimes soap is added to enhance the cleaning properties. Then occasionally MAP is referred to as Moose Milk. MAP is a mix of equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, rubbing Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide. MAP is a very good cleaner with some distractors wary of the extra oxygen from the hydrogen peroxide promoting rust in the barrel. Use a good rust inhibiting oil after clean up.

My Moose Milk mixture uses the old NAPA Cutting and Grinding Oil (1 part) and water (7 parts). Performance wise, there is little difference in the use of any of them.

There are other oils that can be mixed with other solvents to make patch lubricants and cleaners. I have found that all of them seem to work pretty good.

If you use the mix of the emulsified oil and water to soak your loading patches, then allow the patch material to dry, you have a very good dry patch. Of course if you use dry patches, the bore must be damp swabbed between shots because the fouling will be dry and stuck balls are likely.

If you come up with a mix you like, then use it

Last edited:
22parts water 1part balistol and 1pat murphys oil soap. I got this recipe from Dutch Schultz's book muzzleloading accuracy. It has worked great for me for cleaning and patch lube.
thank you sir!.

Back