• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great BP cleaning solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much anything wet will clean blackpowder residue. The cheapest, wettest, most historically correct, available cleaning solution is plain old water. I’ve used concoctions and still do at times. Pretty much they don’t work any better than H2O. Your concoction would work well as a wiping solution between shots because it will evaporate fast. As a final cleaning regimen water is king.

I use my own take on Ed’s Red.

I call it John’s Joose!

7F8CA843-469F-459C-82FA-94145D464DD2.png

I’m very new to black powder shooting, and cleaning. I have only used water with a drop of dawn in a small 2 gallon bucket, I put a patch on the jag, pump that water several times up and down the bore and done. I can’t imagine a more simple solution.

Plug the breach , Pour in hot tap water w/ funnel , muzzle up. Let soak a little 'til the barrel warms. Dump out the dirty h2o , swab out with a few patches and or a bronze brush 'til the patches come clean. . Oil and put muzzle down , wipe again next day. Good to go.....

I find a mixture of Ballistol and dihydrogen oxide mixed 1:10 at room temperature works just fine.
If a mixture will not dissolve table salt (test your concoction) it will not dissolve the salts in the fouling. that cause the rust and corrosion.
Especially if you are using the "P" stuff that is corrosive as all get out even in stainless steel hand gun barrels.
I have been using the above mixture for 40 years on my BP guns and have yet to have a gun rust.
Caveat: using real Gunpowder not the substitutes which is like substituting North Carolina river bottom moonshine corn whiskey for 50 year old single barrel Scotch.
respectfully
Bunk

Pretty much anything wet will clean blackpowder residue. The cheapest, wettest, most historically correct, available cleaning solution is plain old water. I’ve used concoctions and still do at times. Pretty much they don’t work any better than H2O.

The problem is there a misunderstanding about what it means to "clean" firearms. Modern smokeless propellants and non-corrosive primers means anything, including doing "nothing" will work pretty well. However clean it "looks", there is a problem when dealing with corrosive residues.

Blackpowder is a completely different animal, now interestingly enough, the only chemical that dissolves salts as a class, is WATER. Somebody can run 950 oil soaked patches down their gun and it will never dissolve or remove all of the burnt powder salt residues embedded in the bore nooks and crannies and elsewhere. It will happily corrode the bore over time underneath a thick the layer of oil or grease. It won't matter how "clean" it looks. Oil does not neutralize salt!

That's why "hot soapy water" has long been the only way suggested to clean firearms using corrosive ammunition, it isn't because people are being cheap, or sentimental, it must be water or water based. It's basic chemistry 101, not opinion or stubborness.

We’ll if a 1$ bottle of alcohol and a 4$ bottle of Lestoil that will last forever is too much money for the longevity of your guns its not for you, soap and water is my go to, i was referring to running patches through for shooting and qiuck cleans should have made that more clear

75 percent alcohol (90 per) and 25 per Lestoil. Anybody ever use it
Except there is nothing there that will dissolve the salts that are a result of combustion. That mix may wear away the fouling but I doubt it wll get he corrosive materials in the pores of the steel.
Good luck it is your gun but I stick with water and Ballistol.
Put som e of the mix in a glass and drop in a sprinkle of tale salt.
Bunk

Back