• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Greasing paper patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with paper patching some lee 410 gn minie balls. they measure .533"dia and I'm wondering if greasing the paper patched bullet has ever been done.
This is for my .54 cal TC Renegade. Has anyone done this before?

I'm experimenting with paper patching some lee 410 gn minie balls. they measure .533"dia and I'm wondering if greasing the paper patched bullet has ever been done.
This is for my .54 cal TC Renegade. Has anyone done this before?
Tried greasing paperpatched bullets (paper was 100% cotton 9 pound onion skin) and the grease destroyed the strength of the paper. Only tried once before moving on. Try it and report back with what you find.

I'm attempting a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and TOW mink oil. A fellow on youtube did his with 45% beeswax and 55% Vaseline. I'm not too sure about using a petroleum-based product as it might degrade the powder charge, so I substituted Mink oil instead of Vaseline. pics to follow. The finished product shows much promise. When cool, the coating is hard, not greasy and the paper patch seems to be sturdy once hardened, unless you drop one while it's cooling... oops! I did 40 boolets with zero issues, now all I need to do is test them. B5EBC335-BA2A-411B-BBFF-4FB0C59B34A1.jpeg3A1D4540-AA32-4217-B156-62C87D4BC15D.jpeg

I'm attempting a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and TOW mink oil. A fellow on youtube did his with 45% beeswax and 55% Vaseline. I'm not too sure about using a petroleum-based product as it might degrade the powder charge, so I substituted Mink oil instead of Vaseline. pics to follow. The finished product shows much promise. When cool, the coating is hard, not greasy and the paper patch seems to be sturdy once hardened, unless you drop one while it's cooling... oops! I did 40 boolets with zero issues, now all I need to do is test them.View attachment 115819View attachment 115820
My paper patch (DRY) upon firing turns to confetti like it should within 10-15 ft ,try that with a treatment like yours . I bet some of that goes for a ride along ! If you have problems with loading/tearing dry you need to swab /or sizing wrong for using pure lead /alloy to hard

I shoot a lot of paper patched bullets, and normally use them dry. But the Pritchett bullets for the Enfield were originally lubed, so I tried them that way and they work great. I can fire quite a few before having to wipe the bore. I use Gatofeo #1 as a dip lube. 2 parts mutton tallow, 2 parts beeswax, one part Gulf canning wax. I don't know how those grooved bullets will work with the lube but you'll find out soon enough.

I have seen a couple barrels that wanted a little lube at loading. Both were blued barrels. On both guns I used chapstick right al loading.
Both shot well on targets where the bullet was loaded and quickly shot. Now if the bullets were left in the barrel a long time I don't know how well that would work.

I have seen a couple barrels that wanted a little lube at loading. Both were blued barrels. On both guns I used chapstick right al loading.
Both shot well on targets where the bullet was loaded and quickly shot. Now if the bullets were left in the barrel a long time I don't know how well that would work.
As soon as the weather warms up, I'll be testing "my experiment".

Back