• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grasshopper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsblack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Dear Gents,I have a question.My friend and me want to build a grasshopper,the cannon of French Marine.We have only one pic in Sketch Book 56 vol 2,The French Marines 1757-1761 by Ted Spring,on the 59 page.Please,if you have some better infos or pics about it,write it.Thank you very much.R.S.Black

R.S.,

The Grasshopper is an invention of William Congreve (of Congreve rocket fame) in England in the mid-1770's for the new Verbruggen light 3-pounders. See "Grasshoppers and Butterflies" by Caruana.

I'd toss the Sketchbook - no one in the historical community considers them a credible resource. I have nothing on the French, but after I get home from work I can dig up a contact in Parks Canada who can surely point you in the right direction.

R/s,
Charlie

cannon_21_06_4.jpg

July2024th201220noon.jpg

11090420Catel20Fort20cannon6.jpg

Try these for a start. They are from drawings by Carruna.

R.S.,

Sorry - I goofed up above - when I got home I broke out "Grasshoppers and Butterflies: The Light 3 Pounders of Pattison and Townshend" and realized that Congreve developed the butterfly carriage. It was Colonel James Pattison who developed the grasshopper.

As far as the picture you've posted, I've never seen anything like it. That by no means indicates that it didn't exist because I'm hardly an expert. I notice that the drawing does include the Troops de la Marine (sp) anchor on the side. However, the "grasshopper" is uniquely British.

R/s,
Charlie

justmike,

Nice battery! Where were those photos taken? What unit are you with?

R/s,
Charlie

http://user.itl.net/~dale/
1781 Jersey Miltitia re enactment society. St Lawrence 4th.(thats Old Jersey not the New one) This is our web site.
1st pic is from Fort Regent overlooking Elizabeth Castle at our 21 gun salute for the Queens birthday.
2nd is at Elizabeth Castle on one of our days out during the season.
3rd is at Greve de Lecq Fort on the north coast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an exerpt I found on the net ...

" Rogers' Rangers would sometimes set up an ambush on known Indian trails using a small cannon called a "grasshopper". It was a small brass cannon, about a 3"bore with a wooden wheeled platform that folded up and resembled a grasshopper's legs; henceforth the name. It was carried by a 4 man crew who would fill it with anything they could lay their hands on; grapeshot, nails, glass, small stones, etc. then cover it with brush and wait for an Indian column to come through.

Usually all they had to do was fire it then chase down the survivors; assuming they were able to run away. A very effective little war toy." :hatsoff:

Davy

Latest posts

Back