• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GRANT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those who decide not to watch perhaps miss an opportunity. Like all history, whether article, book, documentary, historical fiction, or "inspired by" movie, the reader/viewer is always asked to be attentive and then test. Every author/director has a perspective based upon their understanding of and weight given to evidence. Rather than decide out of hand it is worthless, it can be worth while to see it, recognize what might be of use and what is incorrect, and even at times to research why things are incorrect. As a history teacher, I'm constantly telling my students to be critical.
Perhaps a simple example of this can come from the past. Gettysburg was said for a long time to have been started over shoes. That is patently false. It was a convenient lie made probable by changes to the town of Gettysburg in the 1870s. A shoe factory was created in town and as the reasons for Confederate losses were explored by many in the late 1870s, naturally the engagement at Gettysburg can under scrutiny. Lee was above reproach at the time, but people wanted to understand the "failure" at Gettysburg. Heth, perhaps smartly waiting until after Lee's death, indicated he went in after the shoes, perhaps as an off hand remark to deflect the blame of the arm-chair quarterbacks who now sought to pick apart any Confederate loss to lay blame. That simple lie lasted and was even mentioned in Ken Burn's famous documentary.
Sorry to get on the teacher soapbox here.

As for those like TNGhost who are intentionally missing the series, it is your loss.
From what I've seen, the series is dealing with some of Grants early life and mainly the battles and battle plans of both sides of the conflict.
They are doing a good job of it too if you ignore small things like a guy sticking his head over a giant cotton bale and being shot thru the chest.

Anyway, you are missing a good show. At least so far.

I agree with you Zonie. I've watched the first 2 episodes and they were very good. I am not a fan of Hollywood but I am a history fan and take what they put out with a major grain of salt. I do not believe in rewriting history. Overall I find it a good show and I do not watch many of them.

Dave

Ditto with Zonie & 58, there are small inaccuracies that the average viewer would miss but maybe this show will peak the interest of a viewer enough to do some further reading about the WBTS. Today, Wednesday, on Directv, the History Channel is showing all three episodes in a row starting at 5pm(1700). If GRANT is a success, who knows what may follow. But I seriously doubt that anyone will do a show on Lee or the Southern generals as a whole.

Last edited:
Accurate or not , i have enjoyed the recent movies and tv series available. It gives incite as to what was happening back then.

Considering the times that we live in and the diluted education forced upon everyone in the USA under the age of 50, (LOL), it really wasn't that bad of a production. I agree, too many annoying commercials that insult our intelligence, so I record it and then scroll past them on play back. Called my grandsons and told them to watch it and I'm looking forward to discussing it with them.

This mini-series did a good job covering Grant. When in the active Army (1969-1971) at Fort Meade, Md., I was able to tour a good many of the Civil War battlefields, most from Bull run to Appomattox. At the latter I remember standing in Wilber Mclean's parlor at Appomattox. Lee was seated here, Grant there. I picked up the park flier. On return to Fort Meade I read it. It seems the original house was torn down and taken to up on the east coast to be re-assembled. It never was. During the FDR period the parts of the old house were brought back to Appomattox and re-assembled. At least I had been standing in the same air space of the surrender.

Considering the times that we live in and the diluted education forced upon everyone in the USA under the age of 50, (LOL),

guess I have to disagree with this. My grandchildren are getting a better understanding of history than the white-washed version I received 55 yrs ago.

Well I believe it depends on the area you live in as to the quality of your educational system. My three kids and grand daughter all graduated from the same high school here in Owego, NY. In fact my son was two years behind Astronaut Doug Hurley at OFA (Owego Free Academy). My grandson is in elementary school right now. All have a very good knowledge of history. My grand daughter who just graduated from Siena College in Albany surprises me every time we talk as eventually we get around to history and she has a very good working knowledge of our countries history as do my kids. I do get grief from them sometimes for "living in the 18th century" but they all know there history.

Dave

Way too many commercials but we recorded it and jump through them. Pretty expensive production and small audience so guess they needed to double up on ads. Have only watched first episode. Not bad for a TV history. Cramming twenty years of history into three episodes requires a lot of condensing and cutting corners so I understand the shortcomings. Will watch the remaining two.

This thread is about the TV series on Grant. It is not about education in the US so everyone, please don't sidetrack it into a discussion about education.

I work nights so recorded it until a night off.... tonight in fact.
I was afraid it would do a lot of anti south preaching. Instead I have found it generally well done.
Are there inaccuracies, we’ll sure, it’s Hollywood. But I think it’s done real well.
I don’t think I’ve wasted time watching it.

Back