• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Granddaddy of Production Muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without doubt, Thompson Center. They are/were the most solidly built and most widely available ML for years. CVA's were close behind, in terms of availability but IMO nowhere near as durable as TC. I own both and the difference is easy to see. Actually, the Lyman GPR I have is more solid than the CVA. With that said, the CVA's can be very good shooters and do not have the less than desirable shallow grooves as the TC's have.

I'm always sorry I didn't buy one of the Dixie percussion rifles they had in the 1960's; they were made in Belgium, marked Dixie of course, and are now very highly sought after, I think I've read. But when we're all young and interested in many things, (career, girls, cars, jobs, etc.) one can't see into the future! I was into more modern surplus guns and muzzleloading, while always an interest, didn't really kick in until later in life. A ten-year "enlistment" in a fine Rev War enactment unit during the Bi-Can was a great outlet for historical interest. BTW, the lock on my 1977 Jack Garner SMR is marked 'Dixie' inside the lockplate.

I'm always sorry I didn't buy one of the Dixie percussion rifles they had in the 1960's; they were made in Belgium, marked Dixie of course, and are now very highly sought after, I think I've read. But when we're all young and interested in many things, (career, girls, cars, jobs, etc.) one can't see into the future! I was into more modern surplus guns and muzzleloading, while always an interest, didn't really kick in until later in life. A ten-year "enlistment" in a fine Rev War enactment unit during the Bi-Can was a great outlet for historical interest. BTW, the lock on my 1977 Jack Garner SMR is marked 'Dixie' inside the lockplate.
See post #56

Back