• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Graf vs Goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Graf black powder as good as Goex? I read somewhere Graf powder is made by Goex.
Graf sells black powder, to the best of my knowledge they don't manufacture it.

Edit: My mistake, I see they do have powder branded in their name and it's manufactured by Goex for Graf. I would assume the quality is the same.

Last edited:
I’ve used Graf, GOEX, elephant and Swiss. I’d stock up on what ever you can find. I just picked up 15 lbs of assorted Swiss from a guy that got a military transfer to Hawaii. He couldn’t take it with him so he cut me a deal if I took it all-$10/lb. I could pass on that

Good luck with the Elephant.

Don't get me wrong. It will work pretty good but it is a little weaker than GOEX powder. It often also creates a ton of fouling in the bore.
That's because (according to Mad Monk) they did not debark the wood before they used it to make the charcoal for their powder.

As for how it lights off, it will work fine in a flintlock and that's more than can be said about any of the modern synthetic black powders on the market.

I've used plenty of Elephant over time but prefer Goex. Grafs is said to now be manufactured by Goex.

Back