• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Graf black powder accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round ball, i have made my own powder for 50 year or better. i do have commercial cans snagged from over the years that i use as control for grain size and to see fouling differences.
i have never had problems with differences of accuracy with any. it all falls into tickling the lady.
find the right combo with any powder, bore , patch and ball, and you are golden.
at my age i have also had to throw in different sights but that is just part and parcel.
stay well and make smoke!

It's too bad General Hanger did't ever succeed in his efforts. Then it wouldn't matter which brand of powder was chosen.

George Hanger, in “General George Hanger to all Sportsmen, Farmers, and Gamekeepers”, 1814
146-147 "I should be extremely happy if it were in my power to instruct the Bunhill-Row and Spital-Fields Cockney-sportsmen, and other bad shots, how to improve in their shooting; but, after much reflection and study, I find it totally out of my power. However, I am labouring for their advantage, and with no small doubt of making my fortune also, should I succeed: it is by the invention of STRAIGHT POWDER. But, hitherto, I have failed of finding an effectual composition to mix with gunpowder, to make it shoot straight; and have been equally as unsuccessful as the chemists have been in their endeavours, to find out the philosopher’s stone, who have wanted nothing to complete their long-wished-for object but a perfect powder of projection. However, like them, I do not despair; but shall labour on with assiduity, to find out some composition, for the benefit of all bad shots, which will make powder shoot straight."

Spence

It's too bad General Hanger did't ever succeed in his efforts. Then it wouldn't matter which brand of powder was chosen.

George Hanger, in “General George Hanger to all Sportsmen, Farmers, and Gamekeepers”, 1814
146-147 "I should be extremely happy if it were in my power to instruct the Bunhill-Row and Spital-Fields Cockney-sportsmen, and other bad shots, how to improve in their shooting; but, after much reflection and study, I find it totally out of my power. However, I am labouring for their advantage, and with no small doubt of making my fortune also, should I succeed: it is by the invention of STRAIGHT POWDER. But, hitherto, I have failed of finding an effectual composition to mix with gunpowder, to make it shoot straight; and have been equally as unsuccessful as the chemists have been in their endeavours, to find out the philosopher’s stone, who have wanted nothing to complete their long-wished-for object but a perfect powder of projection. However, like them, I do not despair; but shall labour on with assiduity, to find out some composition, for the benefit of all bad shots, which will make powder shoot straight."

Spence
If some of the Army or Marine snipers are an example, modern smokeless powders must fit that definition pretty darn close.

It is Goex so YES. Any BP will do it but you can't dodge the patch, load amount, ball size and twist as those are more important. There is no pat answer to the question based on all the variables.

This should answer your question…..this took approximately 50 shots over three or four different trips to the range to achieve this accuracy. To answer your question directly, is it possible, absolutely….but as others have said, there is MUCH MORE than just the powder that has to be right to get one hole groups….sorry #3 was kind of out of the hole by just a little bitty bit.

56E4BACD-61C7-4803-AE38-818E98725E81.jpeg

This should answer your question…..this took approximately 50 shots over three or four different trips to the range to achieve this accuracy. To answer your question directly, is it possible, absolutely….but as others have said, there is MUCH MORE than just the powder that has to be right to get one hole groups….sorry #3 was kind of out of the hole by just a little bitty bit.

View attachment 94659
Thank you for your reply. This is the kind of information lm looking for....results other people have had on paper with graf powder . This helps me determine whether or not l even want to give this powder a try or not . I'm perfectly satisfied with the accuracy l get with the powder I'm using now . Just not happy with the every increasing prices.
And yes l fully understand there are other variables besides powder in good load development. Thanks again for your reply .

What I have learned from this thread .
1. Graf black powder is standard Goex powder with a Graf label on the can .
2. All of the post on Graf powder were positive. Not one negative comment.
My conclusion is simply this : Goex 3f has worked very, very well for me. So if l can buy Goex powder that comes in a Graf label can at a cheaper price ...well thats a win , win ! Buy the same powder under a different label , cheaper . This must be one of the best kept secrets in the BP world. LOL
So thanks to you guys who replied to my question , my next 25lb powder order will be for Goex woops Graf 3f .LOL
Thanks again to all who replied.

Go to at least 100 yards 25 means wow I'm on paper.
Yea l hear you. For me l have found it best to work up my loads at. 50 yd.and once l achieve the group size im looking for at that distance it will work well at 100 yd
also . This method has always worked well for me .

Woody Morgan answered your question. I would say that pretty much ALL available black powder these days is capable of what ever accuracy the guy or gal behind the trigger has the skill to do.
That may very well may be true. I personally can't say as l have not tried all of the different powders out there . lm the kind of guy that feels if it ant broke don't fix it.
When l find what works well for me l stick with it . The only reason I've been looking around at different powders is because of price increases. My opinion is that we are being gouged but maybe that's a topic for another thread.

That may very well may be true. I personally can't say as l have not tried all of the different powders out there . lm the kind of guy that feels if it ant broke don't fix it.
When l find what works well for me l stick with it . The only reason I've been looking around at different powders is because of price increases. My opinion is that we are being gouged but maybe that's a topic for another thread.
Who isn't being gouged and what makes them so special is a better question.

wm

I have a hard time getting my head around the concept that one modern brand of powder is inherently more or less accurate than another. How would that work, what could cause it? I can imagine powders being more or less powerful/hotter, but more or less accurate?

Spence

Is Graf black powder capable of producing one ragged hole groups at fifty yards from a benchrest in patched roundball rifles ?
I don't shoot 50 yd groups but @100 yds my CVA .58 mountain rifle does regular 1" groups with 90-110 grains of fff Graf or Goex.

I have a hard time getting my head around the concept that one modern brand of powder is inherently more or less accurate than another. How would that work, what could cause it? I can imagine powders being more or less powerful/hotter, but more or less accurate?

Spence
You guys may be right , l don't know. But what l can tell you is l have two PRB rifles that l have used in competition for many years. And in those years only two brands of powder have been used in them . Both brands produced excellent and equal results . Now having said that, nether of these rifles have been load sensitive. Is this proof that any powder will produce great results . l simply do not know. There are many who will say no . There are many who say brand x works better for them than brand z . l can't say it has worked out that way for me though. So your train of thought my be correct .

Back