Graf black powder accuracy

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Gtrubicon

40 Cal
Reaction score
Is Graf black powder capable of producing one ragged hole groups at fifty yards from a benchrest in patched roundball rifles ?
The only answer you need can only come from you and your rifle by getoting some range time with the powder

sawyer04

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the way discussion forums work?

wm
What can I say, anyone that has been around these old weapons should know the way to tune the skill of accuracy is to shoot, shoot and shoot while documenting and keeping track of last sequence of firing. All the advice in the world will not help without knowing the particulars of the weapon or operator.

Roundball 54

40 Cal
Reaction score
Basically what can a guy tell you ?? The powder is good.....Don't know if you are good enough to shoot those kind of groups....Don't know if your firearm, balls, patches, barrel twist and whatever is capable.
To answer your questions yes I'm capable, my rifle and load is capable . l shoot up a lot of powder in a years time and with the cost of powder going up , up ,and up every year l am starting to look at cheaper powders. However l will not give up the accuracy l get now with the powder lm using .But if l can find cheaper powder that produces the same results , so much the better

TreeMan

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
To answer your questions yes I'm capable, my rifle and load is capable . l shoot up a lot of powder in a years time and with the cost of powder going up , up ,and up every year l am starting to look at cheaper powders. However l will not give up the accuracy l get now with the powder lm using .But if l can find cheaper powder that produces the same results , so much the better
If you’ve been shooting that well and any of the powder you were using was Goex then yes you’ll shoot just as well with grafs. It’s Goex in a can with a grafs label on it.

Last edited:

Roundball 54

40 Cal
Reaction score
If you’ve been shooting that well and any of the powder you were using was Goex then yes you’ll shoot just as well with grafs. It’s Goex in a can with a grafs label on it.
Ok...thanks a bunch for that info . one of the powders l have achieved these results with is goex 3f . Thanks again thats useful info .

deermanok

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Now I get where you're coming from and I hear ya. For me, I like Old Ensyford but I also have see the price difference between OE and Graf. Next time I order powder, I might just get a pound of Graf just to see how it performs.

Roundball 54

40 Cal
Reaction score
Now I get where you're coming from and I hear ya. For me, I like Old Ensyford but I also have see the price difference between OE and Graf. Next time I order powder, I might just get a pound of Graf just to see how it performs.
I'm leaning towards Graf powder now after reading Treemans post .

Roundball 54

40 Cal
Reaction score
If you get some Graf powder please let us know how it works out .

Steel Hayes

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
68EFCA8D-78D9-4BD4-8B21-208AEE5936E0.jpeg

At 50yrds with my .430 PRB, I get really good groupings using Grafs 3f, I’m sure it’d be much better from a bench(but I don’t hunt from a bench).
I usually order 4-5 lbs at a time, their prices are hard to beat.

3Setters

40 Cal
Reaction score
Taking this in a slightly different direction. Will different brands of powder make a major difference in BP shotguns where accuracy isnt a consideration?

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
The powder is as good as Goex. Most bench shooters use Swiss or Goex's premium Old Enysford believing they are more consistant. But I know the Graff's powder is more consistant than I am.

Whughett

40 Cal
Reaction score
I still have a few pounds if Grafs that say Schutzen. With revolvers at 12 to 25 yards I can’t say there was much of a difference if any.
OP run a search for reenactor powder in these pages. Cheaper still and some though accurate enough.