• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My name is bulletman and I still love my Great plains rifle !
Today she was real nice and put all her round balls in one hole at 50 yards.

Mine isn't there yet, but already seems smarter than me. Give it a few months, and it might have me as well trained as you are.

Can't argue with that! Good shootin.

Ah can't say av'e done quite that good but close. One o lifes lil pleasures are goin to the range an havin people a lookin at my sidelocks an a sayin thins like "that is what guns used to look like" an "that thing only has one shot....ha ha ha...".
Then 'bout a half haur later hearin the same folks a sayin "watch that guy there. Every shot is in the black!!!!! Damn, I wish my gun shot like that...."

Ah yes! Fun is whar ye find it, an sometimes it are more fun than others but it is all fun!

quote:Originally posted by Harpman:
Today she was real nice and put all her round balls in one hole at 50 yards. I can do that with my Brown Bess, but the hole has to be about 187 inches in diameter...
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Hey Harpman, what cal is your GPR, how many rounds and what load/projectile are you shooting? That's great shooting regardless of what firearm was used.

Hey, .....Its a new 54 cal, home made balls and patches,(crisco).pillow ticking, keep in mind this was not free hand, I had it resting on sandbags.FFG Goex powder. I kept adjusting the powder load till I could get it to shoot one big hole, took alot of experimenting, about 2 cans of powder !..LOL
The one hole is about 1-1 and a 1/2 inch around, an ocassional flyer out of 10 shot group.
I noticed something else too, My shooting all depends where the sun is at the time, It makes a huge difference to me. If it isnt just right I can't shoot for crapola, as far as tight groups go.

Yes, experienced the same thing...angle of the sun can definitely make a difference in the
'apparent' sight picture and POI...

Hey, .....Its a new 54 cal, home made balls and patches,(crisco).pillow ticking, keep in mind this was not free hand, I had it resting on sandbags.FFG Goex powder. I kept adjusting the powder load till I could get it to shoot one big hole, took alot of experimenting, about 2 cans of powder !..LOL
The one hole is about 1-1 and a 1/2 inch around, an ocassional flyer out of 10 shot group.
I noticed something else too, My shooting all depends where the sun is at the time, It makes a huge difference to me. If it isnt just right I can't shoot for crapola, as far as tight groups go.
I don't care if you were using two vices and had the gun locked down tight, that is good shooting. It took you a lot of time and effort to learn what that gun could do with the right load and you figured out exactly what that was - good for you. I wish I had your patience.

Thank ya very much..I love the heck outa this rifle, I shoot it more than all my other guns combined..thats why I started making my own round balls and patches, I would go broke buying this stuff.

I started making my own round balls and patches, I would go broke buying this stuff. I feel it is more rewarding to make your own "ROUND BALLS and PATCHES", it only enhances the muzzleloading experience...

Ya. When I'm running balls, I often think of several books I've read where the kids got to do the casting. They thought it was neater than molasses and popcorn mixed together and really looked forward to it.

Can you imagine modern people letting their kids pour 750 degree lead? Why as everyone knows, just being around walls with lead paint on them will wipe out a childs mind! I can just hear it now "Hot Melted Lead?? Not around MY children!!! They might bet burned"

Course back in my time we cast things out of lead and made real shiny pennys by rubbing mercury on them. Come to think of it that may explain my brain fade. Naw Just old age creepin up.

Harpman: Sounds like ya found your nitch in the GPR. I have one I have shot for years & I shoot 75 gr of FF Goex & it will group very nicely also. I also use pillow ticking & either a homemade grease or Lehigh Lube for a patch lube. When deer hunting I change to FFF & shoot the same load & the only change is the POI at 50 yards is 1" higher, however I just use the FFF for deer hunting as the FF is a lil easier on me & the rifle, IMHO. For target shooting I use 65 grains of FF Goex or Schutzen.

Back