• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR vs Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to decide on gun for deer hunting. Have looked at 50 and 54 in GPR and CVA Mountain Rifle and Browning Mountain Rifle. All seem to be okay for that purpose. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

The only logical solution to your quandary is to buy all three & do a side by side comparison to see which suits you best.

But, all kidding aside, my personal preference of the three would be the Great Plains Rifle. Second choice would be the CVA Mountain Rifle. Never having owned a Browning, can't really speak to them.

The only logical solution to your quandary is to buy all three & do a side by side comparison to see which suits you best.

But, all kidding aside, my personal preference of the three would be the Great Plains Rifle. Second choice would be the CVA Mountain Rifle. Never having owned a Browning, can't really speak to them.
This right here…^^^^^^

Trying to decide on gun for deer hunting. Have looked at 50 and 54 in GPR and CVA Mountain Rifle and Browning Mountain Rifle. All seem to be okay for that purpose. Any thoughts?? Thanks.
Obviously @Huntinshep is considering a used rifle. At this point, all three rifles are no longer in production. If a new production rifle is desired, I would consider the InvestArms Gemmer rifle in 54 caliber or the Great Plains Signature series in 54 caliber. There is also the Bridger Hawken by InvestArms. These are in present production. An older well cared for used Great Plains Rifle is a good choice.

I'm a little cool on CVA's and Tradition's, they make decent hunting rifles for sure and are lower in price. Good used Hawken style rifles custom and semi-custom don't cost just that much more, and you'll like them better. My first plains, Hawken, mountain rifle use whatever name you wish was a Hatfield .54 halfstock, it never failed me if I did my part. That gun cost me about 500 bucks in the mid 80s but I never regretted it one time.

Any would work just fine. Its all in what rings your bell. Myself I’d go with a .50 as its plenty for deer, and much easier to find conicals or round balls for. Good luck and happy hunting.

Having owned all three, in terms of fit and finish, the Browning is heads and shoulders above the other two. Accuracy wise, they’re all good.
I emphatically concur!

They are all suitable for deer hunting. The choice of caliber is irrelevant for your use unless weight in hand is critical.

Of the three the Browning is absolutely superior in quality and value. The value will only increase.

At this time all of the choices are somewhat like chasing unicorns as the supply seems to be pretty well dried up. Some can be found, but it will take some searching.

The Traditions Mountain rifle is the present production model. For all intents and purposes this rifle is the same as the CVA Mountain Rifle, but only offered in 50 caliber. I am not a fan of the ceracote treatment of the barrel instead of browning or bluing. A kit, to me, would be preferable to be blued or browned as desired for a more durable finish.

Last edited:
This is my opinion, based on killing countless deer over several decades, with muzzeloading rifles. While .50 is good, .54 is better! While CVA guns are good, the Browning Mountain Rifle is much better! I don't know what GPR is?

Latest posts

Back