• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR Trigger Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just checked all my triggers with a pull weight guage. Some were OK and as many know the GPR needs some work. (I know I can get a Davis) I've polished the lock a bit and some of the trigger parts and I'm still getting 6Lb unset. The adjustment screw is too short and if that will adjust the unset letoff then I'll get a longer one. I prefer to not use a set trigger while hunting but it's great at the range. It has a great 1 lb letoff but has 4MM of travel!! That's 5/32" in English. My gosh I've taken my dog for shorter walks than that. I just can't stand that much travel in a trigger. It looks like if I stone the nose of the trigger (or whatever the terminolgy is) a bit shorter I can reduce the travel. I'd like to get it down to about 1-1/2 to 2mm. I know this is a critical area but i figure if I booger it up I can always buy a Davis trigger.
Q1: Does the screw between the triggers adjust the unset letoff?
Q2: Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks

Don’t stone the set trigger shorter, a longer adjusting screw is the cure for the creep. I’ve done a few and it’s cheaper, quicker and easier.

Don’t stone the set trigger shorter, a longer adjusting screw is the cure for the creep. I’ve done a few and it’s cheaper, quicker and easier.
Thanks Phil. Were you able to find the screws needed locally or have to order from a specialty supplier? Also many of you have mentioned using "stones" on your triggers and locks. Are you using sharpening stones, fine grinding stones or something else? Just asking because I have other locks/triggers that will need additional work.

I have gotten useful screws from Ace hardware, look for a slotted head steel screw that is small diameter and tap the trigger plate for it. This to me has been much easier than trying to find a metric screw that match’s the factory size.
Hard stones make crisp edges in locks and trigger, little metal is removed in most cases.

Q1: Does the screw between the triggers adjust the unset letoff?

No, it has nothing to do with it. If your front trigger pulls easily with the trigger group renoved from the gun and if it pulls easily with the lock removed from the gun then the problem is geometry. This is a chronic problem with GPR triggers. Not all mind, but many and to differing degrees. By geometry, I mean the relationship of the front trigger pivot pin and the sear bar. They are too far apart and therefore not enough leverage.

The reason the problem varies from GPR to GPR is because the factory inletting is not uniform in all the stocks. One solution is to move the trigger inletting rearward.

I have gotten useful screws from Ace hardware, look for a slotted head steel screw that is small diameter and tap the trigger plate for it. This to me has been much easier than trying to find a metric screw that match’s the factory size.
Hard stones make crisp edges in locks and trigger, little metal is removed in most cases.
Fasthnal has the longer screws. Take the one you have with you.

Dixon's used to be a service/repair centor [Investarms] GPR's. Call them and see if they have the proper length, pitch, thread screw. Also, I took my lock apart and used a Cratex wheel in my Dremel to smooth all bearing surfaces. Ditto the sear where the trigger levers bear on it (polish those as well). My set trigger let off is now smooth and as light as that on my Renegade.

The best mod I’ve ever done on several GP rifles was to replace the triggers with the Davis Deerslayer triggers. Big improvement! I never could get the factory triggers polished or working to my liking. That adjustment screw is useless in the factory triggers.

Hobbyking has small metric screws for sale...cheap. I had to get hard to find M2.6/.45 screws for both my Hawken front triggers. I bought the 10mm length and filed them down to about 7mm. Worked perfect. The factory screws were useless. Manufactures today do not want you to have a hair trigger.

Latest posts

Back