• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR social

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The forum has had several queries on the Lyman GPR.
I'll bet if it were advertised for a shoot with GPR's only, 50 or 54 I'll bet we would be surprised as to how many GPR rifles out there.
There are many well made rifles out there, but the Lyman takes the prize for the most popular.
I have one! :grin:
Fred

Investarms actually....Fine guns all.

T/C should have just switched production to Investarms instead of packing up...Few would have noticed and less would have cared IMO.

my first was a gpr in .50 still have it. also have the runner up to it. the cva mountain rifle in .50.

I've one of Lyman's fine rifle guns:

20171123_120310-1.jpg

Does very well if I do say, a trusty piece for sure. Takes 28 balls to the pound and shoots true. I like it most fondly.

My first and so far only smokepole (not counting my ROA revolver) is the commercial twin of the Lyman GPR, the Cabela's Hawken made by Investarms. If I understand correctly it is the same rifle but for having only a single barrel wedge and an unpresuming patchbox.

Also if I understand correctly it is a relatively scarce iteration of this model, being .58 caliber in a 15/16" barrel.

I bought it by accident! I was running an amateurish auction fundraiser where members of my rifle league donated castoff odds and ends to be auctioned off among ourselves with the proceeds going to our state legislative fund. Someone brought this beautiful like new rifle to donate and I tried to talk him out of doing so because it was a much more valuable item than usual and also unlikely to generate much bidding in a high power rifle league, but he insisted.

I couldn't even talk him into setting a minimum bid and then we both freaked out when the meager bidding started to stall at $40!! I "noticed" an imaginary bidder back behind me and managed to keep the bidding going but bidding stopped cold when my invisible bidder bid $120. I was pretty much left having to buy the rifle myself to avoid the issue of shill bidding, so I got >stuck< with this very nice rifle for $120. Boy, that'll teach me! :wink:

The rifle hadn't been adequately cleaned - I caught some sort of bug from it! Now I'm in over my head :wink:, muzzleloading has become the focus of all of my reading and web-surfing, and there will be more smokepoles in my future.

Knowing nothing about these, I was surprised at how nicely this rifle balanced and handled. Now I've concluded that comes from the barrel having a whole lot of hole through not much barrel. I think it's kind of special for a factory rifle.

I have one I bought in 1999. It's a left hand round ball rifle in .54. I also have a left hand Cabela's Hawken by Investarms. It is more like the Lyman Trade rifle than the GPR.

Great gun for the money. I use mine only for match target shooting (not hunting) and upgraded with Lyman target sights, a Davis double set trigger, and RMC touchole liner. As accurate as any. My only complaint about the .50 is that it is heavy. :thumbsup:

Late to the party ... bought a LH Lyman 54 flintlock I saw that was ”˜used’, but mint ... to replace my RH Austin-Halleck 50-cal mountain rifle, as ... well, the Lyman is a true left-handed arm and I’m a lefty.

Having owned all brands, even an early CVA US-made mountain rifle, here are my thoughts of various arms. Given that these are factory rifles I will say that I like and prefer the Austin-Halleck mountain rifles over the T/C Hawkens or the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

Immediate A-H advantages to me are:

• More period correct styling
  • Trimmer (less clunkier with less extra wood)
  • Better traditional sights
  • Full-caliber bore to the breech - NO sub-caliber patent breech
  • Better flintlock lock than a T/C, excellent geometry & flint strike angle (no need for a 2nd generation ’fix’) and it is a full-size for caliber lock, unlike the tiny flint cock on the Lyman GPR, with the small lockplate. Plus the A-H lock is sprung by a traditional flat-V mainspring.
  • Browned hardware
A-H mtn rifles were only available in 50-caliber with a 32" octagonal browned barrel in 1:28 conicals twist or a 1:66 round ball twist, but available in both flint or percussion ignition. The stocks were also available is ascending grades of maple to OMG gorgeous tiger-striped maple, from plain to Holy Cow that’s a factory stock?’ in appearance.

Austin & Halleck closed their doors in 2006; with their earlier ones of excellent quality. My early (post-move to Idaho) ”˜late model’ is of excellent quality. There were some build quality issues w/ the late build Idaho ones.

That said, I’d surely go for the Lyman GPR if I didn’t have a chance at a good A-H muzzleloader. But I wish the lock were better and that it was a full-breeched barrel. I do, however, prefer a 54 over a 50 in a Hawken or mountain rifle style MZL’dr.

I got this barrel from TOW a few years ago. GM barrel with a lyman plug, just took out the 54 and in with 40. Very happy with them. Easy to change to either one. Mark

Back