• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR poured nose cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fiddling with things today and got to wondering if a half stock flinter plains rifle might have had a pewter nose cap. I'm thinking now of the GPR beinging a generic plains rifle, not especially a Hawken. I know there is debate about half stock Hawken flinters so I won't go there. Eastern half stock flint locks sometimes did have poured nose caps from what I've seen in my brief research.

So here's the concept. Brownells Alumahyde II in stainlless steel color locks a lot like fresh pewter to me. With careful masking, so as not to color the ram rod entry pipe portion of the GPR front piece, the nose cap portion could be sprayed and made to look like pewter.

I know the Hawken bros did not have spray paint and neither did any other smiths of the era, but the GPR flint lock is just an limitation plains rifle so what would be wrong with imitation pewter?

What are your thoughts?

Have you considered tinning a GPH nosecap or having one silver plated?
May cost more but pretty well guaranteed it will work and not be spray paint.

Why not try and see how the spray looks. You can always change your mind.

No it's not hard to pour a nose cap, but in the GPR the nose cap and entry thimble are all one piece inlet to look like two pieces. I'd have to take a hacksaw to things if I were to cast a separate nose cap.

Here’s one I poured - not that hard to do

Attachments

• 7F028D24-DAC8-4F10-8D12-B0F759038F0E.jpeg
    7F028D24-DAC8-4F10-8D12-B0F759038F0E.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 8A2A48FC-29DB-4E0E-904D-E238681F8768.jpeg
    8A2A48FC-29DB-4E0E-904D-E238681F8768.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 103
No it's not hard to pour a nose cap, but in the GPR the nose cap and entry thimble are all one piece inlet to look like two pieces. I'd have to take a hacksaw to things if I were to cast a separate nose cap.
My GPR is from 1995 and the nose cap and entry thimble are two pieces. I wonder when they changed it? I stripped the bluing off of the nose cap and escutcheons and left them in the white. I sealed them with beeswax and to me they look like pewter

My GPR is from 1995 and the nose cap and entry thimble are two pieces. I wonder when they changed it? I stripped the bluing off of the nose cap and escutcheons and left them in the white. I sealed them with beeswax and to me they look like pewter
The ‘youngest’ GPR I own is from 2016 I believe. It has a two piece nose piece. Have seen more recent ones, and didn’t notice any changes in the nose piece, but then I wasn’t looking for any. If I had one with a one piece nose, and I wanted it to be pewter, I would give it a haircut and cast a pewter nose piece. Personally, would not consider the paint option. In my opinion, it won’t look like pewter, nor will it age or wear like pewter.

I'll probably leave well enough alone. It's just that the nose cap/entry thimble on my rifle wiggles like a loose tooth and is going to have to be repinned. I thought while the part was out i might do something dufferent with it. I ha e the epoxy based Alumahyde in stainless steel color and have used it successfuly on othere projects.

Back