• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR Improvements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While still waiting to find parts for the "FrankenFlinter" thought i'd get to other projects,

I have two of these GPR'S. A flint and percussion. I like the flint but will sell the Perc. (which is still new) Been unhappy with a couple items on the flinter and went to work. First is the ramrod retaining spring. I hear I am not alone in this. I tried bending it out slightly as it seemed incompatible with the fancy "rubber" rod it came with. No luck and snapped the silly factory spring. These rods are ok but the spring does not exert enough pressure to keep these slick, bendy rods in place. I have a number of old flat springs in my parts drawer that have holes in each end. Think they are from a disassembled transformer. Cut one in half, installed with factory screw and bend in a semi double loop as shown. Left just enough room to get to the screw. Works great but the Delrin (?) rod is so bendy i must slightly tip it into bottom ferrule when reinserting. This is a minor issue and works

Next up is the GPR factory set trigger. Factory screw is too short to make any real difference. Was thinking of replacing it with a "deerslayer" like others have but the fix looked too easy. Pulled it, disassembled. Drilled and tapped set screw hole for US standard 4-40. Added a short spring for tension and it works just fine. Pull is as light as possible without "jar firing". Haven't reset the guard yet. Inletting is too deep and will require shimming.

In the next episode of ham fisted gunsmithing will be added wedge with capture pins. Factory wedges can run up to $30+ with shipping and cause i have found several on the range thinking it might be a good idea.
20210716_151644.jpg
20210717_110001.jpg

Attachments

• 20210717_105957.jpg
    20210717_105957.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 37
Like your work on the ramrod retainer spring. My solution was a wooden ramrod with a serious bow in it. Provides its own tension.

Some years ago I was out hunting muleys and lost the wedge on my TC Renegade. Put about a 4 inch wrap of duct tape on to hold the barrel in place. Darned if it didn't shoot just fine. Rifle now has a capture pin for the new wedge, made for a sewing pin.

Like your work on the ramrod retainer spring. My solution was a wooden ramrod with a serious bow in it. Provides its own tension.

Some years ago I was out hunting muleys and lost the wedge on my TC Renegade. Put about a 4 inch wrap of duct tape on to hold the barrel in place. Darned if it didn't shoot just fine. Rifle now has a capture pin for the new wedge, made for a sewing pin.
Don't look the greatest but I always put a piece of electrical tape over the wedge when hunting. Easy to put on and take off.

Capture pins on wedges go way back. Most better double shotguns had them. Doesn't take much to hold pin and can save a hunt. I have found many wedges in the gravel near bench rests and like said earlier they are no longer cheep. I learned to install the tiny pin carefully and with am "L" inletted oin barrel channel so it can be removed if needed. Also the GPR capture spring is not cheep either.

I am convinced they make the set trigger screw too short and an odd metric size on purpose for liability issues

Latest posts

Back