• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR Hardware Color Case Hardening Service?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built a GPR .54 percussion for my step-dad years ago. He never shot it and today I got it back. I had browned all the hardware because it was the thing to do back then but now I want the parts case hardened like my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain rifle had. Any solid suggestions on who I should send them to for some pretty colors.
BB00AEFC-F8A4-4CAC-9B90-30F2A54FA287.jpeg
635506CE-6E2C-4991-8894-9330D85017B5.jpeg

Be aware that case-hardening can change dimensions somewhat.

Phil, are there any consequences to the metal hardness (bad choice of words i guess) of the parts?

I’m just going to throw this out there. It’s your rifle and you can do whatever you want, but that baby is a real looker right as she is. Case hardened parts will look good as well. Heck, mines case hardened, but I really like it as is.

I have now commissioned Phil to work his magic on my rifle and will proudly post pics when I have it in hand. Neither one of us is the type to be in a hurry so I’ll show it off when I get it back. Thanks for all the suggestions (and compliments)! Such a great forum.

Anybody else hate that fish belly stock on the GPR. Wonder how hard it would be to straighten that out? Maybe it’s best just best to leave it alone.

I always hated it. But never had the ambition required to try to straighten it up. Like a feller said one time that put an automotive alternator on his old Harley, 'ya can't see it from the driver's seat'.

It's not really an out of place characteristic for the mid to later century that it pretty much represents. I've contemplated straightening mine out but just never got to it.

I took the trigger guard off one of my Lyman GPRs to work on the trigger and the guard felt like it was aluminum, which I don't think would respond well to case hardening.

I took the trigger guard off one of my Lyman GPRs to work on the trigger and the guard felt like it was aluminum, which I don't think would respond well to case hardening.

I've built several of those guns and all were steel. Touch it to a grinding wheel VERY BRIEFLY in an inconspicuous spot and see if it throws sparks.

Color Casehardening by anybody includes quenching in water. That causes some amount of distortion. Also if the "casehardened" part happens to ne of steel with some amount of carbon, and maybe alloy elements in it, the thing will be hard all the way through.
One gets better investment castings if the steel has a bit if carbon in it, also if there are some alloying elements such as chromium present,
Pretty color case hardening was done in another age when gun parts were made in a different manner (forge + machine) than they are now ,(investment cast.)

Your chances of success are not zero, but neither are they a very large number.

Why do I bother

Back