• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR fit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregononeshot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been reading up on the gun I plan on getting, the GPR. I've read where the length of pull (I think that's what it's called) is 14", which fits people around 5'10"and taller. Well I'm only 5'7", will this be a issue? I haven't gotten to a store where I can hold it and get a feel for how it mounts up yet. Does anyone around my height shoot a GPR? Could I have the stock shortened if it's too long?

I dunno where the 5'10" and taller comes from, because effective LOP depends more on arm length and where you place the butt on your shoulder.

In fact the crescent butts on muzzleloaders don't belong "on your shoulder" or in the pocket of your shoulder like a modern rifle. When recoil mounts those little points top and bottom are downright uncomfortable at best when you do that, not to mention steel or brass on collar bones.

Crescent butts are intended to go outside the shoulder joint, basically out on your arm a little past the shoulder joint. Raise your arm to shooting position and feel along it, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

With the rifle shouldered like it's supposed to be, modern rifle LOP is about right at 14" for my 6'4". But in fact it's about 3/4" short with a crescent butt mounted out on my arm where it oughta be. It takes some thought and practice to learn to move the butt out on your arm, but it makes all the difference in the world.

I'm 5' 6'' and shoot one. Feels good to me. Guess you'll know when you pick one up and shoulder it..
Leroy

LOP is not dependent on height, as you say, but on arm length. Hold your shooting arm out and bend 90 degrees at the elbow. LOP is the distance from your elbow to the tip of your trigger finger...that's the quick and easy method to tell. Also correct is the comment about crescent butt plates and holding them just outside the shoulder joint. Besides being more comfortable, you'll also get a better sight picture. Give Brown Bear an 'atta boy'! :wink:

I'm 5'-11" and it fits me fine held off the shoulder, on the arm.

LOP and Drop are different with these BP reproduction rifles,, truly.
The standards that are used for today's modern rifles and shot guns don't really apply because of the drop of the butt and comb.
They're different.
We're all different size folks here,
There's one 5'6" that likes the fit,
I'm 5'7" and don't like the fit,
My friend Ron is my same height and he can shoot his GPR all day.
I'm a brick,, he's a willow.
When it comes to LOP there is an 1" or so all of us can give one way or the other and still be comfortable,
And No, cutting the stock to change LOP is not a simple task, the curved butt would need to be re-fit and the stock re-finished,, it's not like adding a Pachymar cut-to-fit pad.
Please do try to find someplace to shoulder one if at all possible,, you'll know if it's comfy or not.

necchi said:
LOP and Drop are different with these BP reproduction rifles,, truly.
The standards that are used for today's modern rifles and shot guns don't really apply because of the drop of the butt and comb.
They're different.
We're all different size folks here,
There's one 5'6" that likes the fit,
I'm 5'7" and don't like the fit,
My friend Ron is my same height and he can shoot his GPR all day.
I'm a brick,, he's a willow.
When it comes to LOP there is an 1" or so all of us can give one way or the other and still be comfortable,
And No, cutting the stock to change LOP is not a simple task, the curved butt would need to be re-fit and the stock re-finished,, it's not like adding a Pachymar cut-to-fit pad.
Please do try to find someplace to shoulder one if at all possible,, you'll know if it's comfy or not.

BAM! :thumbsup: Nailed it. Too much moolah to buy site unshouldered. I personally am 5'7 and 7/8ths and half. I can comfortably shoot almost all my many guns. The exceptions are the crocket which just plain feels weird? (but I shoot it fine) and a 20GA shot gun that _itch slaps me every shot :idunno:

Thanks guys. I need to find time to make a trip to the next town to hold a few guns and try that position on my arm to see how it feels.

5'11-1/2". 'Prefer' 13-1/2" on new builds. Own 12" to 14" LOP guns and they all feel good. Have owned a couple of GPRs and currently have one 54 cal in flint and love shooting it. As others have suggested, go try some and see what feels good.

Back