• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR Buckhorn Site

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a bit picky about havin' ta file down my front site too far so I decided to build up the back site. Bronzed it this morn'n and cut a slot down it. Now I'm head'n to the range ta file it down jest a bit and get thing's right.

I'm gonna have to brown it here in a minute.

Spot

Spot, if the Trade Rifle and the GPR share the same sights and you need a fixed buckhorn I am pretty sure i have one - I know I have a front sight- shout if you need them and I'll mail them to you.

Spot, let us know how it worked out. I cut the front sight on my GPR and am happy with it, but it's always good to know of something else that works.
I also have the Lyman Deerstalker, and I'd like to figure a way to raise its rear sight, as it has a fancy globe front sight I can't mess with, and I need the rear notch to be up about a 16th of an inch...Hank

Spot,.... You or'ta see some of the "original" sights,.... some of'em are only 'bout 1/8th. inch "tall"!!

The onliest problem I ever had with "low" sights is "heat mirage" from the barrel when shoot'n competition in real cold weather!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fellers,

She were shootin' a foot low with the factory site, then I brazed the open spot full (had ta use flux to get it to take and get it hotter then all get go with a propane tourch).

Anywho, I bronzed her in and filed it down flat, then I took a hacksaw and made a cut down the middle, followed it up with a small small flat file and ran it down the center of the cut.

Then I took it to the range, and it shoot about a foot high (only touched the front sight with a file). Then I started filing away the rear site, I took about a penny and a half of thickness out and she's shootin' about 7" high right now. That's with 90 grains of FF, I'll go back next week and knock her down some more.

Only bad thing is the shinny bronze which I marked up with my sharpie so it wouldn't be so reflective. Anywho, I don't know if it'd brown good but I really don't care. I'm group'n nice so it's all good.

Spot

Spot: I don't think the bronze or brass will react to browning at all. Birchwood Casey once made a solution for blackening brass.
Just a wild guess but I suspect the sulphur in a cooked egg yolk might blacken it too.
Always willing to experiment with someone elses gun I might suggest hard boiling an egg. When it cools remove about 1/4 of the yolk. Mix in into a little water to make a paste and coat the sight with it. Who knows? It might work.
At least you have a hard boiled egg with 3/4 of the yolk to munch on while you think of evil thoughts to say to ole Zonie bout the mess he made on your new riflegun.

Back