• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR as good as they used to be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read today that Lyman has now contracted with Pedersoli (instead of Invest Arms) to make the GPR along with a significant price increase. Don't know if kits will still be available after the change over.

I am also looking at the Traditions Mountain Rifle. Recent reviews of the Traditions seem to suggest that the quality has improved. I am not a hunter, but an off-hand target shooter. So I'm looking for accuracy more then anything else. I suppose accuracy is never guaranteed gun to gun, so I'm just trying to hedge my bet.
Hey I’m a hunter and accuracy is very important even more so than a paper target cause it’s not going to run off a crying like a real animal will now for myself accuracy is very important I have a shooting bench and a gun vice and I won’t stop shooting until it’s dead center of the litle floorecent orange spray that’s the sise of a dime and I’m dead on it you aim small and you’ll miss small . I wish you the best and hope you’re happy with what ever gun you choose

We have 4H kids shooting 200-300 rounds in a summer season out of them!!
Trying to get another one bought for another kid, but Lyman is out of stock until the recall rifles are all replaced.
I don't understand that, most places have them in stock.

I'm considering purchasing a Lyman Great Plains Rifle percussion .50. Built one about ten years ago and was very pleased. But...... I've heard some say that the quality has dropped off and that they are not worth the $$. Has anyone purchased/ built one lately? Please let me know your experience.

Happy shooting!

I was just looking at new muzzleloaders someplace on the web and I see where Lyman changed the builder in Europe and they are little higher. I think it was because of the quality-from all the things I read. I do own a Lyman deerstalker Flintlock but it's over 15 years old, and fairly good quality. From what I read, the newer ones weren't and I think that was probably the reason for the change of manufacture.
Squint

I don't understand that, most places have them in stock.

I called Lyman personally, about a month ago. Website earlier this week still shows OOS for percussion GPR. The lady in CS thought April at the earliest.

if you buy one, make sure it doesn’t fall in the recall!!

I called Lyman personally, about a month ago. Website earlier this week still shows OOS for percussion GPR. The lady in CS thought April at the earliest.

if you buy one, make sure it doesn’t fall in the recall!!
Just to clarify, the Lyman recall happened in 2018 and applied to the guns they sold in 2017.

Here is a link to the Lyman recall notice.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/recall/

I'm considering purchasing a Lyman Great Plains Rifle percussion .50. Built one about ten years ago and was very pleased. But...... I've heard some say that the quality has dropped off and that they are not worth the $$. Has anyone purchased/ built one lately? Please let me know your experience.

Happy shooting!

All this talk got me wound up to shoot. This is only the second time out for my GPR 54 and the first time I tried some different powder charges . Started at 90 grs of Graff FFFg ,TC pre-lubed patches .015", Speer .535 balls , CVA Hot-Flash caps (which I believe are CCI - I bought 500 of these at a close out somewhere 20 years ago -still going strong ) . I also tried 100 grs and 110 grs powder charges .Still breaking in the barrel but groups but the last group was about 3" at 50 yards , 3 were touching and two were off to the right a little. That might be as good as I can do cause I struggle seeing the front sight but for my needs it will be fine and it was an overcast day making it even harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, the Lyman recall happened in 2018 and applied to the guns they sold in 2017.

Here is a link to the Lyman recall notice.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/recall/

Just to add to that... I bought a NIB GPR last year (off Gunbroker) and discovered upon arrival that it was made in 2001.
Luckily for me, it turned out to actually be in NIB condition (outside of the ugly stock finish).
Point being, you never know when your "new" rifle was made until you look up the serial number.

I've had a .50 GPR percussion on order up here in BC for 6 months now. The shop is telling me April delivery possibly. No problem getting a flintlock. 2 new ones on the rack.

Get a flintlock, saves getting caps and you can be shooting this weekend.

I owned a Lyman Great Plains rifle many years ago and and can state that it was a nicer rifle than the new one I examined about five years ago. I foolishly sold my rifle and was thinking about buying another one but the new one was so rough that I decided to build one.

Bill

Latest posts

Back