• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPC .22 Derringer: powder load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cachelapoudre

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up this General Precision Corporation .22 BP Derringer (Model 10) and can't find any documentation regarding a powder load.

GPC-derringer-8x.jpg

I have a Classic Arms Snake Eyes Derringer which uses a 12 grain load; but it is loaded with a patched ball. No patch for this small .22 ball.

Does anyone have experience with this smaller calibre pistol?

Based on experience with my other BP pistol I am planning to start with 5 grains of 3F powder. The Model 10 uses #11 caps.

Any suggestions.

Is that a cast barrel? I'm not sure I'd load anything more than a cap for the first couple of shots.

I had one of those years ago. Mine was a different manufacturer but identical in design. It was a nickle plated cast barrel with a steel liner. If memory serves me the recommended load was 10 gr FFFg.

Yeah, i'd think 5 grains. 10 would probably fill that barrel 1/2 way. A club member has an original .22 rifle which he shoots 5 gr. and pellets out of. Drills the 25 yard target.

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations.

As I continued looking online for a manual I came across a portion of an owner's manual from a similar pistol marketed under the Talon label and it stated 10 grains of 3F (FFF).

I will try it out with 5 grains first and then work up to 10.

The .22 balls I have will require a patch (the ball rolls in and rolls out of the barrel). The portion of the manual I came across did mention a patch. I have some thin cotton material from a pillow case I will use to cut patches.

Let's see what this thing will do.

On a similar note does anyone know if there are any "Staged Derringer" events for black powder?

I would like to add a new event for our local BP shooters and thought a "derringer only" event would be interesting.

Anyone out there ever participate or attend a shooting venue where the shooters could only use a Derringer?

I wouldn't use over 7 grains of black powder in that gun.

Small bores develop a lot of pressure.

Besides, it isn't like it was going to be used to kill anything larger than a rat.

Zonie, I remember reading an article stating a rule of thumb for powder loads in pistols and revolvers was to divide the calibre by 3 to get a starting load amount.

22 ÷ 3 = 7.33. 7 would be a safe load as you state.

I normally try a more conservative amount first, depending on the gun.

I'll still start with 5 grains and see how it shoots and then work up. 7 would theoretically be the limit.

I'll write a range report after Sunday.

Hello Folks,

After a few weeks I can give a range report on the GPC .22 Black Powder Derringer.

1. It does shoot.
2. I still have all my digits.
3. I started out with a 5 gr. load and then tried a 7 gr. load with a cotton patch from a t-shirt. Each worked well and there were not problems. It shoots high at 10 feet.
4. I was harassed by my fellow shooters until they saw the pistol fire and hit the target!

It is a nice addition to some of my other monster pieces.

If you have a chance to pick one up do so. They are a fun piece to have.

cheers,

I have a 22 flintlock and a 22 wheel lock and have
not gone more than 5 gr. I used the Benjamin air
pellets with the hollow base and have shot the front out of them. I made an exact copy of the
58 mini ball only in 22 cal. They shoot well but
I would like to shoot a round ball more. What size
do you use and where do you get them ?
Wulf

The .22 lead balls I shot came with the pistol. However, GAMO .22 lead balls will also work.

If you're looking for a conical bullet, North American Arms sells .22 conical bullets for their .22 black powder derringer revolver.

Here is a link to that product. http://northamericanarms.com/accessories/cb-accessories/cb-parts/cbb50.html

Don't use copper BBs/balls in the .22 calibre or .22 pellets. Like you mentioned, the head gets blown out when firing.

Hope this helps.

I am going to look around for another small calibre derringer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back