• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gourd Powder Horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a number of bird house/bottle gourds that were properly grown and cured. They would make great powder horns I suspect.

Any of you fellas ever make a gourd powder horn? I have seen a few over the years, so I know it has already been done and is functional.

I am actually in the process of making one. I'm using a small gourd, might hold half pound of powder. Mine is not historically correct since after cleaning the inside I poured in some polyurethane, to coat the insides. I think pioneers used bees wax as a sealant.

I am actually in the process of making one. I'm using a small gourd, might hold half pound of powder. Mine is not historically correct since after cleaning the inside I poured in some polyurethane, to coat the insides. I think pioneers used bees wax as a sealant.
just don't tell the thread counter and you will be golden ;)

How are you doing the thing? With a premade powder horn nozzle or just a cork or other plug?

I am designing as i go... thinking of a wood plug with an Oring and a piece of leather as a retainer. I should probably look on you tube.

Never made a powder horn from a bottle gourd but have made and use them for water canteens lined with bee's wax lining and a wooden stopper. They work very well and hold up well, I see no reason they would not work for powder.

I am designing as i go... thinking of a wood plug with an Oring and a piece of leather as a retainer. I should probably look on you tube.
Make a close fitting wood plug then make a cut in the stopper which goes into the neck then put a wedge of leather in the cut and maneuver it so you get a tight plug . This wedge can be moved in or out as needed .

Latest posts

Back