• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gourd Dipper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd bet a month's wages the old timers did this: cut a long stemmed gourd as shown in picture. Dry for a month or so, coat interior of cup with beeswax or ???. Drink heartily. Polecat

Attachments

• PICT0467.JPG
    PICT0467.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 108
When I was a youngster my grandmother keep a gourd dipper hanging on the well pump out side of the summer kitchen when you wanted a drink you used the dipper to catch the water from the pump. She raised all kinds of gourds and used them for various projects dippers, bird houses bowls are a few things I remember so I guess they are historically correct for her she was born 1899 and I would bet her grandmother done the same thing.

Supposedly, the African slaves called the "Big Dipper" constellation, the "drinking gourd".

At least that's the story behind the folk song titled, "Follow the Drinking Gourd" we used to sing back in the '70's.

They say the runaway slaves escaping to the North used the constellation as a guide.

I know for sure the slaves used gourds to make musical instruments, also a lot of African related instruments made from gourds are used today, I researched the grandfather of the banjo as we know it today it has its roots in what was called a banjemer came from Africa with the slaves, it was made from what is now called a banjo gourd, I planted the gourd seeds raised the gourds and re-produced this instrument and it turned out rather nice if I must say so, I am very computer limited or I would post a picture.

Latest posts

Back