• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got the Witworth fixed; took it to the range- more newbie questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine Sniper

32 Cal
Reaction score
After learning a lesson about the need to lube bullets I took my Witworth back to the range with one goal; get it to shoot with no malfunctions.

I shot 20 shots of 60 grains of 3FFF under the 580 gr. hexagonal bullets Pedroselli sells. I ran a cleaning brush down the bore after each shot and lubed the bullets. I did not use any kind of a wad / spacer, etc between the powder and bullet. I have 1.5F and 2F powder I know "should" be better, but for now I just want everything to function and smell some black powder

Couple questions:
Do bullet weight matter as far as powder charges go much? Obviously with smokeless powder it does greatly. In other words if I find a load with a 480 gr. bullet do I need to adjust the powder charge if I step up to a 550 grain?

What kind of velocity can I expect to max out at? I assume my 580 gr. bullet should get to around 1350 fps? I did run 70 grains of 3FFF for the last shot and it went 1110 FPS

The above 60 grains of 3FFF and the 580 gr. projectile had almost no recoil and averaged 1000 fps.

After learning a lesson about the need to lube bullets I took my Witworth back to the range with one goal; get it to shoot with no malfunctions.

I shot 20 shots of 60 grains of 3FFF under the 580 gr. hexagonal bullets Pedroselli sells. I ran a cleaning brush down the bore after each shot and lubed the bullets. I did not use any kind of a wad / spacer, etc between the powder and bullet. I have 1.5F and 2F powder I know "should" be better, but for now I just want everything to function and smell some black powder

Couple questions:
Do bullet weight matter as far as powder charges go much? Obviously with smokeless powder it does greatly. In other words if I find a load with a 480 gr. bullet do I need to adjust the powder charge if I step up to a 550 grain?

What kind of velocity can I expect to max out at? I assume my 580 gr. bullet should get to around 1350 fps? I did run 70 grains of 3FFF for the last shot and it went 1110 FPS

The above 60 grains of 3FFF and the 580 gr. projectile had almost no recoil and averaged 1000 fps.
Glad you got her going without sticking a bullet again. Your rifle may or may not like the same load with different bullet weights, only way is to try, point of impact should certainly be different. s to velocity closest thing I can find to relate to is .45-110 Sharps which shows a 110 grains of 2F Goex yields 1365 FPS with a 535 grain bullet, not 580. Deduce what you may from this. BTW how are you lubing your bullets?

The Lyman "BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL" has a page showing the results of their testing for a .451 caliber rifle.

They only used 2Fg powder and this is one of the few pages that does not show breech pressures. (Take it from me, they are very high.)
Here are the results for a 475 grain bullet cast using a Lyman # 457121 mold showing charge weight and muzzle velocity and muzzle energy.

50 gr = 710 fps & 518 lb/ft
60 gr = 907 fps & 868 lb/ft
70 gr = 1112 fps & 1305 lb/ft
80 gr = 1192 fps & 1499 lb/ft
90 gr = 1271 fps & 1704 lf/ft
100 gr = 1302 fps & 1788 lb/ft
110 gr = 1332 fps & 1872 lb/ft
120 gr = 1407 fps & 2089 lb/ft
130 gr = 1481 fps & 2314 lb/ft

Remember, high velocity does not equal good accuracy. In many cases, lower velocities can greatly improve accuracy and whether shooting targets or game animals, accuracy is the key ingredient for success.

I have never owned or shot a hex bore rifle. 52 bore might see this and offer some advice.

I do have experience shooting conical bullets out of .45 cal long range ML rifles.

Most shooters that I know of here in the USA that shoot these big heavy bullets do not use 3F. Instead a slower burning powder like 2F, or 1.5F is used.

Is this a PP bullet? How are you applying your lube?

I dont know if you normally use a wad for a hex bore rifle. If so, you might find that helps you. A card wad and/or felt wad that is lubed. Mr. 52 bore can comment on that.

I use 86 grains of 2f swiss with a 530 grain bullet and my speed is around 1325 fps. For most target shooters 86 grains is on the lighter side of powder charge.

It also kinda depends on what you want to do with the rifle. Are you planning on shooting past 500 yards with it?

Fleener

With no wad over the powder you may experience gas cutting up the sides of your bullet along the rifling. I've never had that gun, but it can be a source of frustration with velocities being all over the place with any gun with rifling. The wad will help the bullet slug up into the rifling and create a gas seal.

The Lyman "BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL" has a page showing the results of their testing for a .451 caliber rifle.

They only used 2Fg powder and this is one of the few pages that does not show breech pressures. (Take it from me, they are very high.)
Here are the results for a 475 grain bullet cast using a Lyman # 457121 mold showing charge weight and muzzle velocity and muzzle energy.

50 gr = 710 fps & 518 lb/ft
60 gr = 907 fps & 868 lb/ft
70 gr = 1112 fps & 1305 lb/ft
80 gr = 1192 fps & 1499 lb/ft
90 gr = 1271 fps & 1704 lf/ft
100 gr = 1302 fps & 1788 lb/ft
110 gr = 1332 fps & 1872 lb/ft
120 gr = 1407 fps & 2089 lb/ft
130 gr = 1481 fps & 2314 lb/ft

Remember, high velocity does not equal good accuracy. In many cases, lower velocities can greatly improve accuracy and whether shooting targets or game animals, accuracy is the key ingredient for success.
Zonie,
I think the 100-130 grain charges are for the PH Volunteer, which is allowed up to 130 grains of 2f.
My Whitworth was proofed with 90 grains of 2f and a 580 grain bullet.
That is plenty for my old shoulder!
Irish

Back