• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Got my h&a under hammer back today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stoped by a friend's house today and and he gave me back my numrich hopkins and Allen underhammer. This one has a about 15ga smooth bore or that's what I think it is. Any ways it's .680 bore. So I need to get some round balls to try, probably use it for deer season since its my only muzzleloader right now.

So any idea of a ball size to start with, guess patched would shoot the best, I may have to try to bag a turmeric fall with it.

Thanks I figured around 15-20 under. Any idea were to find one. I remember there was a guy making custom ball molds.
I believe you're thinking of ballmoulds.com Although located in the UK, they do make provision for shipping to the US. You may need a PayPal account, Other payment methods are listed in the FAQ page of the web site. Hope this helps.

I believe you're thinking of ballmoulds.com Although located in the UK, they do make provision for shipping to the US. You may need a PayPal account, Other payment methods are listed in the FAQ page of the web site. Hope this helps.
Ok that what that place is called, there was another place to. I think Lee can do custom rb molds, I should get a price. For now I'll just buy the balls to see if the size works.

Lyman made a .662 round ball mold years ago. I had one for some time and traded it. I just saw the other day the Dixie Gun Works had a Lyman .662 mold for about $90. That is what I gave for mine in the 80's. I've been shooting muzzleloaders and casting since the mid 70's and have only seen one other .,662 mold and it was by Rapine. They made most of my roundball molds in the early 80's because I shot very tight loads, starting them with a rubber mallet for competition. Rapine is out of business now. You might try Dixie, that would be your best and maybe your only choice this day and time. Good luck.
Ball moulds can make the mould and you can get the mould and handles for about $40 American dollars.
Mike

You are probably thinking of Jeff Tanner Round Ball Molds at jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk as the other source. The Tanner molds are cheaper than Larry Callahan's molds. Both are very good and can be made in any size. I have several of Larry Callahan's molds and I am quite satified.

Go ahead and watch round balls being cast using both molds.

Lyman made a .662 round ball mold years ago. I had one for some time and traded it. I just saw the other day the Dixie Gun Works had a Lyman .662 mold for about $90. That is what I gave for mine in the 80's. I've been shooting muzzleloaders and casting since the mid 70's and have only seen one other .,662 mold and it was by Rapine. They made most of my roundball molds in the early 80's because I shot very tight loads, starting them with a rubber mallet for competition. Rapine is out of business now. You might try Dixie, that would be your best and maybe your only choice this day and time. Good luck.
Ball moulds can make the mould and you can get the mould and handles for about $40 American dollars.
Mike
Thanks a Lyman mold would be nice, I'm short on cash right now but will see about getting one.

You are probably thinking of Jeff Tanner Round Ball Molds at jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk as the other source. The Tanner molds are cheaper than Larry Callahan's molds. Both are very good and can be made in any size. I have several of Larry Callahan's molds and I am quite satified.

Go ahead and watch round balls being cast using both molds.

Thanks, is Tanner the one that passed away recently?

Has some time today, I made a cleaning jag for this barrel. Was making a scraper to but had a brain fart and forgot to make it longer, tho think it's still long enough to reach the bottom. I still have to grind the paddle part and set the screw in and cut it off.

For the jag I made it .020 under bore size, it's seems to work fine with the .010 patches I have. I may have to take it down some for the thicker ones.

IMG_20200830_180942_hdr.jpg

Back